Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Potential New Customer

This is a discussion on Potential New Customer within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am a returning Sky TV customer and am thinking of moving over from BT (phone) and O2 ( BB ...

billigmeister is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunchurch
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Potential New Customer

I am a returning Sky TV customer and am thinking of moving over from BT (phone) and O2 (BB) all my services to sky. I just need to get a few things clear before i commit

Reasons i want to go with sky

a) Cost - the packages for unlimited BB and line rental (upfront) and unlimited phone are a good bit cheaper than other providers.(9 a month cheaper than o2)

b) simplicity of having all contracts together

b) The sky anytime + service - which i think our family might start to use a fair bit.

Concerns that i have are

1) Sky Broadband - my current service with O2 is fairly slow 3-4mbs but it is consistent (much better than my old TT service). In researching all the companies they all state different "expected" speeds (mostly around the 3-5mbs range) but Sky is the exception and they said their info it says only 0.5mbs. They have stated that they get this data from BT sources. My simple brain sort of expects that if my current service is in the 3-4 range (which i happy enough with) then although Sky said the figure is lower, i might expect actual performance to be in the same sort of range as i currently receive. When i speak to all companies sales teams they do suggest that the speed is likely to be similar to what i currently receive in their experience. Will it be likely that my speed will drop to 0.5?

2) Being stuck with sky and not being able to move provider in the future (ie then having to commit to bt line rental again in the future). Are there any things i should be aware of with this

3) Call charges to 0845 and 0844 numbers - how do people using sky talk deal with these? - i use saynoto0870 a fair bit but sometimes they are unavoidable.

Can anyone help with my concerns

I am about 2 miles away from the Exchange in Dunchurch and i have done a wireless check and found 2 other users have sky in the local vicinity (which i expect is acceptable to them)

Any other comments or thoughts are welcome

2. Advertisement
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Potential New Customer

1. If you can get 3-4Mb/s now, then you can get that in the future. The sky estimates in their literature are very conservative.

I recently joined Sky and they estimated 4.5Mbps - however, my attenuation says otherwise (16Mb). I'll let you now how I get on with it.

2. If you want to move from Sky to any other provider, I would imagine there would be a charge for this.

3. I just ring them as normal and pay up, but I don't ring them very often.

Also, if you could post your Router's stats - then we could get a better idea of what speeds you should expect. Also, what things are on your line?
      Current Sync 79999/19999

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gorebrush For This Useful Post:

billigmeister (22-06-11)

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Switching from O2's LLU service to Sky's LLU service will probably result in a slight drop in speed as Sky run a slightly more conservative profile & I think are far less flexible than O2 in making profile changes. I'm referring in particular to the lowering of the noise margin. Sky run 7dB & O2's standard is 6dB , hence the higher speed with O2. O2 will drop this to 3dB if you're on a very good, stable line. Don't think Sky will.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to timc For This Useful Post:

billigmeister (23-06-11)

billigmeister is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunchurch
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ok i think i will go with the sky - it might get worse but marginally.

I think i will be back on here to do more research cos at the moment i don't know how to do the checking and tweaking you guys are on about yet