Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0.4mbps download ?

This is a discussion on 0.4mbps download ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It looks like although your other sockets are not connected, the wires are still connected to the master socket. All ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: 0.4mbps download ?

It looks like although your other sockets are not connected, the wires are still connected to the master socket. All I can suggest is that you discover which wires are the incoming and remove the others. Take of the wires connected to the 1, 3, 4 and 6 terminals and tuck them out of the way. Untwist the blue/white/blue wires and try to discover which is the incoming. If you have a volt meter you can try and find the pair that is carrying the voltage, if not, it is just going to be trial and error. Plug a phone in and when you get dial tone, that's the pair you want. The pair will come from the same cable, so it is not a difficult as it sounds

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      jinx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello all,

I too am experiencing very slow download speeds, so much so that even downloading 2GB worth of PS3 updates takes all night...i mean ALL night!
      I am on Sky Connect and up until about 3 months ago i was regularly getting 6Mbps at most times during the day. Now at quiet times i may get 1.2Mbps and in the evening i an getting less than 0.5 Mbps!
      The router is plugged directly in to the test socket and i have no other phone extensions wired into it...in fact i disconnected them all in case it was a household wiring fault.
      My connection stats from my router are:

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 57:02:31

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1023959 1613900 0 739 18792 31:44:31
      LAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      WLAN 2403896 1590328 0 19468 1464 30:38:28
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 17.0db 11.5db
      Noise Margin 13.9db 19.0db

Anyone got any suggestions?
      Do you think i am being capped because i am on connect?

Thanks all for your thoughts/help in advance
      Gary

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
      ...so much so that even downloading 2GB worth of PS3 updates takes all night
      Sky connect has a daily limit of 1.3Gb. So this alone has placed you over the limit, hence the capping.

If Sky does not have their equipment in your local exchange, then do some research and change to another ISP. If Sky does have their equipment, then chase then to get moved to it ASAP. Don't 'cancel' Sky Connect. Just get you MAC code. Cancelling can leave your line locked for a month or so with no provider able to supply you with a BB connection.

Work out what you do with your connection and what you intend to do with it in the future.

Use the links below to find out which ISPs have equipment in your local exchange. LLU providers will be able to offer the best terms. Next take a look at the list of providers on the Thinkbroadband site and see who can offer you a package that suits. No other BB supplier to the best of my knowledge caps you in the same way as Sky BB Connect.

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

thinkbroadband :: List of Broadband Providers in the UK

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

jinx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie,
      If it is the case that i am being capped on Connect, will changing to a different Sky package make any difference?

A search on SamKnows tells me that Sky is one of only 4 providers that are LLU'd on my exchange, the others being Orange, Talk talk, AOL and C+W....so i think i may be better staying with sky?

I am confused!!

Thanks
      Gary

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
      If it is the case that i am being capped on Connect, will changing to a different Sky package make any difference?
      Yes. If Sky BB Unlimited is available then you just don't get capped at any time of day or night.

[/QUOTE]A search on SamKnows tells me that Sky is one of only 4 providers that are LLU'd on my exchange, the others being Orange, Talk talk, AOL and C+W....so i think i may be better staying with sky?[/QUOTE]

It is not unheard of for all the sockets on Sky's equipment to be taken by other subscribers. often people are placed on Sky Connect as a temporary measure, until a socket becomes available.

I am not too sure about why you haven't already been moved, but personally I would give Sky a friendly call and ask to be moved asap.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12