Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What would cause this

This is a discussion on What would cause this within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Problems started this morning. Using internet fine and then it just dropped out. Done all the usual tests so I'm ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

What would cause this

Problems started this morning. Using internet fine and then it just dropped out.

Done all the usual tests so I'm 99.9% certain it is a line or exchange problem.

Symptoms

Started - amber light, PPP down - remained after numerous reboots

Later - solid green light, line connected, but no internet connection

Later - solid green light, line connected, internet connection appears for a while, then drops out for a while. Line stays connected all the time.

Spoke to T1 this morning but had to break off to get to work. Can't get them to see past the fact that the line is connected so must be a problem at my end.

Have doen all the usual tests, different computers, different browsers, different modem, direct connection to test socket - so pretty sure it is an exchange\line problem.

What could be causing it and any checks I can do from my end.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Thanks

Re: What would cause this

Reckon it could have been a lightning strike.

It happened yesterday morning all of a sudden and at that time couldn't even connect - PPP server down.

Connected up my spare router and the same.

So at this point must have been an exchange problem.

Reconnected the proper router and after about 30 minutes was getting steady green but no internet connection.

Had to leave to go on overnight business trip. Yesyterday evening my wife reported that the line has remianed connected but internet data connection was very intermittent.

Got home this even and still intermittent.

My wife said that many neighbours were also suffering with the same symptoms (but not on Sky).

Something mad me put the old router on before I rang Sky and it works fine.

Reckon my proper router got fried and that the exhange was hit for a time.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks

Re: What would cause this

I learnt something new today - about MER, so my diagnosis could well be wrong.

My Sagem is using MER on VCI=40 and my spare router is using PPPoA on VCI=38.

So it could be that the exchange is still having problems on MER, or it could be that my Sagem router has ceased to be.

Cheers,

Nigel