Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New sky BB customer can i have some advice

This is a discussion on New sky BB customer can i have some advice within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Evening all, I am a new sky unlimited customer and just wanted to check my stats with some of you ...

JT26 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New sky BB customer can i have some advice

Evening all,

I am a new sky unlimited customer and just wanted to check my stats with some of you if thats ok. DLM has finshed and my line only supports 2.5-3.0mb so its pretty naff.

Anyway my stats were showing

Connection Speed
      2716 kbps down
      604 kbps up

Line Attenuation
      63.0 dB down
      31.5 dB up

Noise Margin
      7.0 dB down
      16.0 dB up

My line drops every now and then and tonight when it dropped after 60hrs my stats went down to

Connection Speed
      1412 kbps down
      604 kbps up

Line Attenuation
      63.0 dB down
      31.5 dB up

Noise Margin
      7.0 dB down
      16.0 dB up

I rang sky and asked them if they could re configure the line for which they did but now my upstream has dropped quite a lot

Connection Speed
      2816 kbps down
      256 kbps up

Line Attenuation
      60.0 dB down
      31.5 dB up

Noise Margin
      7.9 dB down
      16.0 dB up

I asked them if the could up the upstream which they did but the connection downstream the dropped to 2048kbps while the upstream went to 419kbps. I just dont get why i could not get the stats back i had before the line dropped. I think i would rather have the faster downstream rather than a slight increase to my upstream but will i notice any issues with a low upstream of 256kbps? I play alot of online gaming and dont download a great deal if im honest. I have tested these in my 1st extension socket as i have one of those annoying external masters

2. Advertisement
      samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New sky BB customer can i have some advice

Brings back memories of my old line...

From your stats. You have a very longg line! But my old attenution was something like 63.5 and i could achieve round about the same stats as you.

Are you able to plug into the master socket directly? Exts are notorious with issues because they put extra unnecessary noise on your line.

Your at the default 6db profile it seems. And at night you do get interferrence if you have a overhead line like i used to have.

Have you got a cordless phone nearby. that causes interfererence as well as things like DAB radios and Sky boxes them seleves...

also dial 17070 opt 2 i think (quiet line test.) see if there is "crackle" on your line ..

Hope ive shed some light.. come back with a update

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have an XNTE then it may pay you to fit one of these to the first socket on the line. ADSLNation XTF-85 Professional Quality 85mm Filtered Telephone Socket This does the same job as the one designed for fitting to an NTE5, but is suitable for a standard extension socket.

You have been a bit unlucky in who you got to configure your line. They did the right thing in moving you from ADSL2+ to G.DMT, but have made a mess of configuring your upload. If I were you I would fit one of these filters then call back and have them reconfigure your line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

JT26 (15-06-11)

JT26 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for that mate, when they actually re-config your line what are the actually doing to it? is there a way of telling if im actually on ADSL2+ or ADSL (G.DMT)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Basically they raise the cap on your speed until it can support no more with a noise margin of 7db. Some agents are more skilful at doing this than others.

Lines are always set to a speed multiple of 32, G.DMT will always sync exactly, but ADSL2+ will sync a few kilobits lower.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.