Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Download speed dropped from 2m/s to 300k again

This is a discussion on Download speed dropped from 2m/s to 300k again within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by fantasticdave I have went from getting download speeds of 20KB/S last night to 1.4MB/S this morning. This ...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Download speed dropped from 2m/s to 300k again

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdave View Post
      I have went from getting download speeds of 20KB/S last night to 1.4MB/S this morning. This is without using hotspot shield. When using Hotspot shield I had some improvement last night and it was steady at 600KB/S

My guess at the minute is that somewhere either through Sky, the actuall line from BT or filesonics capacity itself, there is some kind of throttle or capacity limit causing this on week nights
      The next time you experience a drop in speed I want you to pause your download and download this test file instead. See what speeds you get.

2. Advertisement
      fantasticdave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcphailan View Post
      I didn't think an LLU product such as Unlimited was prone to this (to any significant degree)? Now that I got my set-up fixed (i.e. microfilter correctly positioned ), I get 4.2 Mbps at 9pm even (not exactly awesome, but considerably better than the speeds you are suffering).

Did you try Scubbie's "test socket" test? This is how I got to the root of my probs

Are they favourable comparable to what you published in January below? You stats but 300k speeds look so similar to the probs I was having, but from your level of knowledge I would be surprised if you'd missed somehing as obvious as microfilter setup....or swapping microfilters?

"These are my stats with only the router plugged into the test socket -

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4543 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0db ..."
      I will carry out a test on everything again, but have tried the test socket and filters in the past and there was no difference. At the minute I was working a lot and somethings I need to try and have been put on hold.

Just tried a download and it started at 800KB/S, but quickly dropped to 200KB/S. Booted up hotspot shield and I am getting 600KB/s consistantly.

It's annoying as for a good few years I have had 2MB/S.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasticdave For This Useful Post:

mcphailan (15-06-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      The next time you experience a drop in speed I want you to pause your download and download this test file instead. See what speeds you get.
      Thanks, will do as soon as a current download I have going finishes. This is a test I was looking to do to see if it is specifically file sharing sites or all sites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      1.4MB/S. Then attempted to download from Filesonic on a premium account and got 200KB/S.

It's looking like Sky or someone is throttling file sharing download bandwidths. I have unlimited with them and didn't expect this.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disguise addresses? I can remember there being something that worked for Rapidshare where you changed the http at the start of the address.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

1.4MB/S. Then attempted to download from Filesonic on a premium account and got 200KB/S.
      That test confirms that you connection is not the issue, which is a good thing.

Do be careful with the use of capital & lower case letters when quoting speeds please. 1.4mb/s is less that 1.4MB/s. I would expect 1.7MB/s on my connection.

1024kB/s is equivalent to 1MB/s.

It's looking like Sky or someone is throttling file sharing download bandwidths. I have unlimited with them and didn't expect this.
      It could be a number of other issues as well. These include the servers that you are using are being swamped, you might be throttled by them during peak hours (I don't know their T&Cs) or the site has been placed on a bad list and Sky are having to monitor the content.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disguise addresses? I can remember there being something that worked for Rapidshare where you changed the http at the start of the address.
      You could look in to using a Proxy Server.

Essentially you channel your traffic through their servers and the receiving servers think that your IP address is from someone else.

Using this method you could, for example, use a Proxy Server based in the US and watch US TV Channels on-line.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Use a decent download manager that will allow multiple connections to be made to retrieve the file you want.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345