Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Download speed dropped from 2m/s to 300k again

This is a discussion on Download speed dropped from 2m/s to 300k again within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm still on a legacy package which is 100% unlimited and unthrottled, which is why I'm still on 8Mbps on ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Download speed dropped from 2m/s to 300k again

I'm still on a legacy package which is 100% unlimited and unthrottled, which is why I'm still on 8Mbps on my 16Mbps line. They can't change my package without my consent

Seriously, they don't do anything to my connection - maybe new ones but not mine!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I was with Orange previously & never experienced any form of throttling regardless of what I was doing. So far not experienced any on Sky either.

urismarine is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well it doesn't matter what kind of download speeds you get, if they cap your upload you're removed

And you really need both when you're playing games online on your PS3 (or Wii whatever)

And a lot of people in the UK experience lag because the PS3 uses a P2P matchmaking system. There are articles about it on the web.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 15-06-11 at 07:05 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

O2 are on this list
      Sky are not

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urismarine View Post
      Well it doesn't matter what kind of download speeds you get, if they cap your upload you're f*ked

And you really need both when you're playing games online on your PS3 (or Wii whatever)

And a lot of people in the UK experience lag because the PS3 uses a P2P matchmaking system. There are articles about it on the web.
      I get 1.3Mbps 24/7 - and I upload a LOT! Not dodgy stuff mind, I DJ so upload a lot of mixes
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      I get 1.3Mbps 24/7 - and I upload a LOT! Not dodgy stuff mind, I DJ so upload a lot of mixes
      Well I'm on Sky connect and I get insane amounts of lag 24/7 even when my download speed is sound.

I thought it was with me being on connect but there is a known problem with the matchmaking system on consoles - with them using the same P2P method as torrents

Also, I can browse just fine when I'm playiing games online and download torrents

And the distance doesn't make any difference -- still laggy as hell
      Last edited by urismarine; 14-06-11 at 05:54 PM.

fantasticdave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I have been very busy with work and haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Just tried downloading again from filesonic and with similar stats as I had before on my router test, I am getting less than 100KB/S.

Its very annoying as I went through over a month of trying to get all this sorted out and my saving grace was that I had noise on my line, so BT swapped my line over.

Without having that, I may not have gambled on getting an engineer out as I didn't want to risk the call out charge

Thanks

Well I'm on Sky connect and I get insane amounts of lag 24/7 even when my download speed is sound.

I thought it was with me being on connect but there is a known problem with the matchmaking system on consoles - with them using the same P2P method as torrents

Also, I can browse just fine when I'm playiing games online and download torrents

And the distance doesn't make any difference -- still laggy as hell
      Just tried hotspot shield.

I was getting very poor download speeds and rebooted and they improved, but then gradually started slowing. Then tried hotspot shield and the speeds still arent what they should be, but are better.

For most of the last half hour they have been around the MB/S mark, but have now dropped to 600KB/S.

I was slightly dubious about it as it give me an option to add a toolbar which was modal. I had to accept it in order to close the message box.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdave View Post
      Just tried hotspot shield.

I was getting very poor download speeds and rebooted and they improved, but then gradually started slowing. Then tried hotspot shield and the speeds still arent what they should be, but are better.

For most of the last half hour they have been around the MB/S mark, but have now dropped to 600KB/S.

I was slightly dubious about it as it give me an option to add a toolbar which was modal. I had to accept it in order to close the message box.
      Yeah Hotspot shield is always busy at these times. Try it between 12 and 3 during the day. I notice you got a slight improvement though. Try it a little earlier and report back

It works for me but only at certain times

A lot of people in the UK use it at these times (home from work) to bypass country restrictions - to watch their favourite TV shows etc
      Last edited by urismarine; 14-06-11 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks

Yeah Hotspot shield is always busy at these times. Try it between 12 and 3 during the day. I notice you got a slight improvement though. Try it a little earlier and report back

It works for me but only at certain times

A lot of people in the UK use it at these times (home from work) to bypass country restrictions - to watch their favourite TV shows etc
      It's a lot better than it was and it's fast enough for downloads that aren't huge.

It's annoying though as I am still not sure if it's sky throttling my speeds or problems with my line as it has been ok at times then really slow at others.

I suppose a test would be to download something from Microsoft or a site that sky think are reputable enough to never throttle.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast