Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extremely slow internet connection

This is a discussion on Extremely slow internet connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Over the past week my Internet has become unusable the speed is so slow even getting to google can ...

Hebda is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Huddersfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Extremely slow internet connection

Hi,

Over the past week my Internet has become unusable the speed is so slow even getting to google can take half a minute and sometimes longer. I have been through the usual rubbish with tier 1 support try another computer etc etc.

But i am still having the issue, when tier 2 finally got back to me they said they could see millions of errors on the line so suggested i tried the test socket which i did still the same results. When in the test socket i tried a ping to Google and there is alot of packet loss on the line. Tier 2 then sent me a new router to try with new cables filter etc which had no affect whatsoever.

I was getting a decent 5mb connection up until a week ago but now it has become unusable, but when you call back it takes tier to a couple of days to even get back to me! I have gone through everything possible and my stats in the test socket are as follows: -

ADSL Link
      Connection Speed

Download 4873 kbps
      Upload 474 kbps

Line Attenuation
      51.5db
      33.4db

Noise Margin
      9.0db
      9.0db

Could this be a problem with the exchange? as Sky never seem to want to check anything outside of where i live.

Marc

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Extremely slow internet connection

From your description of the errors in the test socket, I would say that it sounds likely that your telephone line has a fault.

I'm not sure of the full details, this kind of thing can occur when a BTO engineer knocks your connection for example, but your telephone exchange was knocked out for a few hours the other week.

I would be inclined to call again and ask someone to perform a line test. If this fails, then ask for a BTO engineer to visit and repair your connection.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Extremely slow internet connection

Line test fail = logged for standard engineer. Line test pass = SFI broadband engineer booked.

Hebda, any noise/issues on your landline to report? I'd say you're best ringing again and have them try the line on g.dmt and see how that fares.