Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

5months and speed dropping

This is a discussion on 5months and speed dropping within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie You'll forgive me, but I am getting really suspicious of BTO engineers at the moment. There ...

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: 5months and speed dropping

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You'll forgive me, but I am getting really suspicious of BTO engineers at the moment.

There seem to be a lot of people posting who are complaining that their speeds are dropping in areas which have been set up with Fibre.

BTO Engineers are supposed to be completely independent of BT. They should be providing the best possible service to any customers on an independent basis.

As previously mentioned in other threads though, you may wish to check out some new non-Sky microfilters. The ones supplied by Sky are often not the best quality.

I would also be inclined to connect another router and post the stats. It does not have to be a Sky router, just one that supports ADSL2+.

All this should be done in the test socket, using the short grey ADSL lead supplied by Sky.

As for BT being able to provide you with 6500 kbps, your telephone exchange has BT's 21CN installed. This provides the same maximum connection speed as Sky can supply. However their router reserves some of your bandwidth for their additional services (i.e. extra telephone line, BT Openzone, BTFon).

So basically Sky does give you better bandwidth than BT. When there are problems, it seems that a lot of BTO Engineers are not providing the service they should be, in accordance with Ofcom rules.
      One quick question..

That BTFon and BTOpenzone rubbish that forces my router into chopping up my speeds - this wouldn't cause my bandwidth to go from 8 to 3, surely?
      Current Sync 79999/19999

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      One quick question..

That BTFon and BTOpenzone rubbish that forces my router into chopping up my speeds - this wouldn't cause my bandwidth to go from 8 to 3, surely?
      I don't have the full details, but I am aware that it can be as much as 2Mb, depending on which services you have enabled on the router.

It is possible to disable them, but I have found this difficult on someone's BT HomeHub v2 in the past.

Since you are now on Sky BB, this will no longer be an issue.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I don't have the full details, but I am aware that it can be as much as 2Mb, depending on which services you have enabled on the router.

It is possible to disable them, but I have found this difficult on someone's BT HomeHub v2 in the past.

Since you are now on Sky BB, this will no longer be an issue.
      Oh yes, I'm not too bothered. Tuesday is the magic day!

I cannot find any other explanation for this speed drop. It's not as if it's time of day related either - it's 3Mb whever I try, and my sync rates/IP Profiles say otherwise... /shrug
      Current Sync 79999/19999

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12