Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

moving house - changing to sky connect

This is a discussion on moving house - changing to sky connect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all, Ive been with sky broadband unlimited for ages and never had any issues playing my xbox online or ...

beano2004 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

moving house - changing to sky connect

hi all,

Ive been with sky broadband unlimited for ages and never had any issues playing my xbox online or just using for the internet etc,

We are moving house in 4 weeks to a village and looking at sky's website we will be outside the area for the unlimited service but an still get the Connect service for 17 a month.

The address we are moving into already had the connect service and the lady said it was fast and no issues etc but they didnt have any consoles etc?

Does anyone know if connect will be ok for playing my xbox online or will i keep getting lag and losing connection?

dont really want to leave sky as never had any issues but reading some post of here has kinda put me off wanting to get connect?

any help will be most grateful

tony

2. Advertisement
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: moving house - changing to sky connect

Connect is really BT Broadband but rebranded.

Personally, I don't like BT and wouldn't touch them with a 50ft barge pole... but that is entirely up to you.

Helps to know if the lady there now says that its fine - but how do you know what her usage patterns are compared to yours?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you do more than look at the odd web page DON'T get Sky Connect.

I s the worst bradband serice in the UK, you would be better with two cs and a piece of string.....

Gaming, downloading, streaming videos are all out of the question during peak hours which seem to be getting longer and longe.

Try Plusnet if you cannot get any other LLU providers, although they still use the BT network, they manage it much better and can also offer a gamers package with prioritised traffic.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

As has already been pointed out - Sky BB Connect is not a very good package. For the same price you can get much better BB packages.

Use SamKnows and see if there are any LLU providers in your local exchange:

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

These are likely to offer you the best deals.

Next take a look at the various other ISPs available. Sky BB Connect is a BT Wholesale product. It is capped very badly IMHO. If you go over the daily limit for u/l & d/l, of 1.3Gb, then you get this capping. It gets even worse after around 5pm to midnight & stays that way all weekend.

thinkbroadband :: List of Broadband Providers in the UK

Please see this thread for more info about Sky BB Connect: (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms