Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Just signed up to Sky, Confused about "cooling off" period.

This is a discussion on Just signed up to Sky, Confused about "cooling off" period. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok it's on, but this time i'm only getting 4meg! I asked the BT guy if he could put the ...

junglebungle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Just signed up to Sky, Confused about "cooling off" period.

Ok it's on, but this time i'm only getting 4meg!

I asked the BT guy if he could put the line on to a friends flat that has moved out downstairs because he was on 14meg before with sky, but i can't get access to the box in the flats where the lines are? need to phone my landlord.

Anyway here are my stats:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 500 623 0 72924 294610 0:04:11
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 0:04:56
      WLAN Up 1742 1419 0 993088 176798 0:04:37
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4095 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.5 dB 16.3 dB
      Noise Margin 17.0 dB 19.3 dB

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglebungle View Post
      Connection Speed 4095 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.5 dB 16.3 dB
      Noise Margin 17.0 dB 19.3 dB
      This shows that you are effectively on the starting point for your connection (pre-DLM). This is confirmed by looking at your noise margins. Sky's target is 7dB for both.

I was about to suggest that you call Sky to get them to manually configure your connection, but just checked the thread. They are not allowed to configure manually during the DLM period. This will start some time over the next 3 days or so.

The speed checker on this site estimates that you should get between 14Mb-16Mb for your download speed.

As previously mentioned, it can normally take up to 10 days for the DLM process to complete.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      This shows that you are effectively on the starting point for your connection (pre-DLM). This is confirmed by looking at your noise margins. Sky's target is 7dB for both.

I was about to suggest that you call Sky to get them to manually configure your connection, but just checked the thread. They are not allowed to configure manually during the DLM period. This will start some time over the next 3 days or so.

The speed checker on this site estimates that you should get between 14Mb-16Mb for your download speed.

As previously mentioned, it can normally take up to 10 days for the DLM process to complete.
      I was told the exact same thing before when i was with virgin media national broadband.

But it was 2meg for a whole month and never changed so that's why i cancelled, (big problems cancelling as well but managed to do it with a lot of hassle)

The engineer changed the switch over to a spare one at the green box, (which was next to my old one, which was 2meg) now i obviously get 4meg, so say he changes it over to my friends old line (he's moved out now and was getting 14meg with sky) surely i should receive those speeds? or am i wrong? (matter of getting hold of a key to the socket cupboard at my flats, and getting sky to send another engineer out which i doubt they will?)

See the DLM period like you say with take me past my cooling off period, and if it doesn't change i don't want to be stuck with 4meg, when i should receive 14 meg!, 4 meg is nothing for todays standards of streaming/downloading etc.

I don't know what to do now wether to phone sky and cancel.

P.S i remember as well a girl who lived in these flats also was with sky and only ever got 4meg as well.

Regards

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

We can't comment about your neighbour and why she was stuck with a 4Mb connection.

For now, leave your router on 24/7. Check your router's stats in the morning. Pay particular attention to the up time for the WAN. If DLM is running this will have reset some time during the night between 1am & 6am. Typically it is around 2-3am.

Your stats should have also changed if DLM is working.

Since DLM can start over the next 3 days, you may not have any change until the morning of the 18th.

It is perhaps important to realise that many people only provide half a story. Hopefully those on this forum can help you to achieve the best connection for you line.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok thank you for your help, i'll leave it going and see what happens, i'll update the thread as and when.

Regards

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You have plenty of spare noise margin so achieving 14-16MB on good internal wiring should not be a problem. If you have poor wiring I would still say you would get at least 10MB.

Just wait till the 8th day. Your speeds will shoot up before then. Even if they don't I think Sky will suspend DLM and configure your line manually to the best of its ability when you ring in to cancel.

Just relax. Sleep on it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      You have plenty of spare noise margin so achieving 14-16MB on good internal wiring should not be a problem. If you have poor wiring I would still say you would get at least 10MB.

Just wait till the 8th day. Your speeds will shoot up before then. Even if they don't I think Sky will suspend DLM and configure your line manually to the best of its ability when you ring in to cancel.

Just relax. Sleep on it.
      Thanks, I hope they do go up! i can't see it happening though as they didn't when i was with virgin

I'm very unlucky when it comes to this sort of thing lol.

It's rather annoying as like i say my friend whose on sky in the same block gets 14 meg and he's paying the same as me so i can't justify keeping it if it stays the same lol.

According to this:

What Is DLM? Everything you need to know.

What Type Of Speed Can I Expect?

You should expect anything within 1MEG of what your line was achieving before the DLM.

I'll give it a few days and cancel it probably if it's not any better, i'll move onto fiber optic because i'm going to be moving in the next 12 months.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

I think you may be getting mixed up. The thread you refer to was written when Sky first introduced DLM. It was run on all lines, even those that been quite happily syncing at a high speed. Some found the speed they finished with was higher than they had before, others lower. Now DLM is run on new lines and uses 4Mb as a starting figure, where this is attainable. This does not mean you can finish with 3-5Mb. You speed will rise as soon as DLM starts, I would guess your first jump will be to about 12Mb, rising to 13-14Mb as the training progresses. The speed you end up with depends entirely on the condition of your line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Your stats are virtually the same as mine when I was connected. My attenuation is 30dB as yours.

Within 48hours the DLM kicked in & immediately upped me to 14meg. Since then I've had 2 jumps & now on 15meg and the DLM completed in 5days.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think you may be getting mixed up. The thread you refer to was written when Sky first introduced DLM. It was run on all lines, even those that been quite happily syncing at a high speed. Some found the speed they finished with was higher than they had before, others lower. Now DLM is run on new lines and uses 4Mb as a starting figure, where this is attainable. This does not mean you can finish with 3-5Mb. You speed will rise as soon as DLM starts, I would guess your first jump will be to about 12Mb, rising to 13-14Mb as the training progresses. The speed you end up with depends entirely on the condition of your line.
      Oh i see, ok thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
      Your stats are virtually the same as mine when I was connected. My attenuation is 30dB as yours.

Within 48hours the DLM kicked in & immediately upped me to 14meg. Since then I've had 2 jumps & now on 15meg and the DLM completed in 5days.
      Was you also on 4meg as well when you started?

Regards

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast