Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with my slooooow Sky Max Broadband

This is a discussion on Help with my slooooow Sky Max Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am on Sky BB Max and used to get about 8meg download which suited me fine. I had SkyAnytime+ ...

Xanadude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help with my slooooow Sky Max Broadband

I am on Sky BB Max and used to get about 8meg download which suited me fine.

I had SkyAnytime+ installed and tried moving the router downstairs so i could use it there and tested the speed of a wireless connection to the PC.

At that point, I was getting:

6.9 Meg wired
      6.1 Wireless

I decided against using SkyAnytime until i got a wireless adaptor for the SkyHD box so moved it back upstairs.

My BB has been very slow of late and its very frustrating to use the ipad and if more than 2 things are connected it becomes impossible.

I contacted Sky via email and they replied:

I have checked your line and I can see the reason your speed is not what it should be is due to the way your broadband is set up.

This is causing errors on your line which, if left unchecked, will continue to slow your Internet until it eventually stops working.

Please use the easy to follow guide below to ensure you have the optimum set up and so remove all of the errors from your line.

They suggested i connected my router to the test socket.

However my House is a new build and the master socket (and therefore test) is situated just beside the front door so would not be practical to situate there.

I replied with the above asking:

• Should i have to change the location if it was working fine and getting 8meg before?

• Am i being capped? in any way?

I have not had a reply after 2 days.

Here are my router stats

Can anyone help?

2. Advertisement
      mcphailan is offline Senior Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Help with my slooooow Sky Max Broadband

Others can address the more techie matters but I'm curious why you ruled out Sky's suggestion? You don't have to have the router right next to the front door, use a longer (2 or 3m?) ADSL cable and even drill a hole into your living room and have the router there, feeding the cable through to the test socket, no ?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Ideally your router should be situated in your master phone socket, which in most cases in near the front door. This will give the router the best chance of connecting at the best speed.

Post your router stats and we'll go from there:

How to get your router statistics
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Xanadude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies already.

I thought i had posted a link to my stats but it didn't show up.

Here's a link
      Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

If that didn't work try

@ mcphailan: It really wouldn't be convenient to drill holes and feed the wire from the front door to the living room as the living room is at the back of the house and it would have to go through a (large) kitchen.

My point here is if it was working fine before on the upstairs office phone point, why is it not now?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Things deteriorate. Your stats look fine, but if the line is pushing large amounts of errors already at 3mbps then you're not going to get anywhere near back to the previous 8mbps with a stable connection. Best option, as suggested, is to find a suitable way to connect to the router to the master socket.

Once that's done, if you don't see an improvement in speeds then you'll find DLM has capped the line for stability and call Sky to have it uncapped. Do not move it back to the extension following that, however, as you'll just face the same problem again.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadude View Post
      Thanks for your replies already.

I thought i had posted a link to my stats but it didn't show up.

Here's a link

If that didn't work try

@ mcphailan: It really wouldn't be convenient to drill holes and feed the wire from the front door to the living room as the living room is at the back of the house and it would have to go through a (large) kitchen.

My point here is if it was working fine before on the upstairs office phone point, why is it not now?
      Your stats seems to point to a problem with your internal wiring. My stats are pretty much the same as yours and I get 11Mbps.

First thing to do is check each socket and make sure the ring wire isn't connected. That's the orange/white wire connected to terminal 3. If the line is still syncing at 3Mbps it may have been capped so you could as phone Sky and ask them to rerun DLM on your line.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Call Sky, tell them you have made improvements to your wiring and would like your speed increased. If you noise margin was 7db or lower then I would say you have problems on your line, the fact that it is well into double figures shows there is plenty of room for improvement, even if you do get some errors.

You would probably do much better in the Master/Test socket, but if you are happy with 7-8Mb, then that is up to you. You might want to try plugging into the Test socket and taking your stats, just to see what you are loosing. If your PC cannot be connected to the router in that position and you don't have a wireless laptop, see if you can get a friend to come in and take your stats. I would not be surprised if your Test socket shows you could get 12-13 MB. If there is a convenient power socket, you could connect to the router using Homeplugs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

The line may not be capped, though. From time to time, an uncapped line can show high SNRs but generate huge amounts of errors, effectively 'capping' itself. I doubt anyone at Sky will touch that line if the advisor was correct about the errors.

SkyCST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02087
      Broadband ISP: Other
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Its most likely this customer has only spoken to Tier 1.

So the sky advisor wasnt right :P

Keep badgering sky until you get thru to CST, from there they will look at your line and action appropriately.

What may of happened, is if you moved your router and had it connected incorrectly and generated interference, then its possible DLM may of capped you down.

BUT, DLM isnt as active as everybody here believes. So, it also might not be.

Just call sky, dont listen to tier 1 they are about as useful as a wet fart in a bath tub.

SkyCST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02087
      Broadband ISP: Other
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      The line may not be capped, though. From time to time, an uncapped line can show high SNRs but generate huge amounts of errors, effectively 'capping' itself. I doubt anyone at Sky will touch that line if the advisor was correct about the errors.
      Also, As a sky employee i wouldnt say no one at sky would touch it.
      Tier 1 would be useless and would tell you over and over again its the microfilter, and when its confirm its not that, they will set their lil' hearts on it being something else such as the wireless channel.
      (They will do this, they do this for DSL no sync issues...)

Just call Sky back up, if its been over 72hours demand CST call you.
      They should get somone to call you within 24hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast