Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Speed problems

This is a discussion on Speed problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ROUTER STATISTICS System Up Time: 14:53:07 Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN PPPoA 162392 ...

Pabscars is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate 01925
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Speed problems

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 14:53:07
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 162392 252466 0 30732927 63377946 14:51:41
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 14:53:07
      WLAN Up 70281 58684 0 35525507 11520413 14:52:48
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3488 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.0 dB 31.5 dB
      Noise Margin 11.4 dB 12.0 dB
      Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)

Hi guys and gals, sorry to barge into this thread but could someone please have a look at my router stats and give me there opinion, I'm a complete noob when it comes to ADSL having recently come over from the dark side

Reason I ask is my downstream noise margin is fluctuating constantly between 11dB too 11.5dB, will this be the reason my broadband keeps dropping out?

I have been on the phone to Sky support due to the speeds dropping off a cliff and the rebooting but it's still rebooting several times a day.

So far I've tried 2 router's and 3 filters all wired directly to the new BT master socket.

Your help and support is appreciated

Thanks Pabs

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Speed problems

When you say it's dropping out, what lights (if any) change on the router?

Have you tried the test socket?

Do you definitely have the sagemcom 2304 router?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      When you say it's dropping out, what lights (if any) change on the router?

Have you tried the test socket?

Do you definitely have the sagemcom 2304 router?
      Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, it's just too nice outside.

When I say dropping out I actually mean rebooting, it's just like the power has been switched off and on again, the @ light turns amber, starts to flash, and eventually syncs again after a minute or so.

A quick check of the router confirm's the reboot as the WAN timer reset's.

It's connected to the test socket permanently and I do have the sagemcom 2304 router.

Thanks for the reply

Exchange:
      Thanks

If it was rebooting, you'd see all the other lights make some change. Is it just the internet (@) light going off and then flashing amber - solid amber - green? If so, the router is dropping sync. The stats actually do look alright.

What type of router was the other one that you had tried and have you tried another power supply unit?
      Any noise or issues on the landline?

Thanks

If it was rebooting, you'd see all the other lights make some change. Is it just the internet (@) light going off and then flashing amber - solid amber - green? If so, the router is dropping sync. The stats actually do look alright.

What type of router was the other one that you had tried and have you tried another power supply unit?
      Any noise or issues on the landline?
      Wow what a quick responce

The other router is exactly the same sagemcom unit, I don't know why 2 got sent out but I'm not complaining.

I've not tried another power supply yet but I do have a spare so I will give it a whirl.

Re: the light's, it's hard to say for sure but every time I've noticed the net has dropped out on the laptop or console, it's always the @ light that's turned to amber, started flashing then turned to green and all is good again.

It's not a major inconvenience more annoying because the wife start's complaining as it me who recommended we move to Sky, and the only reason I moved from my VM 50 Meg service was due to reliabilty issues compounded by high ping and Jitter.

I am quite a way from the exchange so I always new speed's werent going to be fantastic but my neighbour seems to get about 6713 kbps down with Sky so I thought that would be more than ample for me to game on and the wife to mooch about on the net etc.

Right I've just been nextdoor to my neighbour to check his router stats and they are as follows

Connection Speed 6713down and 796up
      Line attenuation 49db down and 26.4 up
      Noise Margin 6.6db down and 15.5 up

Which is miles away from where I'm at at the moment, also his ping is approx 35 on pingtest.net yet mine is nearly 200????

Answers on a postcard if you please

Sorry I forgot to mention, how do I know if there is noise on the line? isnt that what the BT engineer check's for with their equipment

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's possible that both routers that you have received are part of the faulty C8CD batch (check the mac address on both routers to confirm this and also log into the router and check the firmware versions and reply with them).

The router that you have has known issues with it such as intermittent wireless and session drops, for which a firmware update is being rolled out at the moment. Unfortunately, only so many can be done daily so it's going to take another week or so before that's completed. In the meantime - change over for a different PSU, just to rule it out, and hook up one of the routers via ethernet cable. Log into the router and disable wireless for a possible short-term fix (set-up in the top left and then uncheck 'enable wireless access point' and apply it). Monitor from there and see how it goes until you receive the new firmware. Another option is to call Sky, get the issue raised to CST for an e-mail to be sent off for a manual update. That'll take at very least 3-5 days for the issue to be picked up and the e-mail fired off, though.

In the chance that you already have the updated firmware and/or don't receive it in the next week, then I'd suggest calling Sky to diagnose it further.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

Pabscars (04-06-11)

Thanks

It's possible that both routers that you have received are part of the faulty C8CD batch (check the mac address on both routers to confirm this and also log into the router and check the firmware versions and reply with them).

The router that you have has known issues with it such as intermittent wireless and session drops, for which a firmware update is being rolled out at the moment. Unfortunately, only so many can be done daily so it's going to take another week or so before that's completed. In the meantime - change over for a different PSU, just to rule it out, and hook up one of the routers via ethernet cable. Log into the router and disable wireless for a possible short-term fix (set-up in the top left and then uncheck 'enable wireless access point' and apply it). Monitor from there and see how it goes until you receive the new firmware. Another option is to call Sky, get the issue raised to CST for an e-mail to be sent off for a manual update. That'll take at very least 3-5 days for the issue to be picked up and the e-mail fired off, though.

In the chance that you already have the updated firmware and/or don't receive it in the next week, then I'd suggest calling Sky to diagnose it further.
      Is it ok to post the both modem Mac addy's on an open forum for someone to check only I don't how to check to see if they are part of a bad batch?

The router firmware I believe is

Sagemcom
      Model Number F@ST2304
      Firmware Version 5.14.6.1a4N
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030n.d23b

Its not possible to disable wireless, the wife would literally have my manhood in a sling without it lol.

Do you have any explanation why my speed is so slow compared to my neighbour and why line attenuation and noise margin differ so much as they have have the same router it would appear.

FYI, the last time I rang Sky tech support, the nice lady I spoke too went off to get a chap to manually set my line speed, she said they were able to adjust my line speed for maximum stability and since then it hasn't moved up or down.

Your help is very much appreciated sir so a big thanks so far, if it wasn't for forum's like this, progress would be very frustrating

Edit, Re Mac addy's just checked the routers and they do start with C8CD

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

On that router you definitely have the latest firmware version, so the router should be working reasonably well.

The main identifiable reason for the difference between your neighbour's connection and your own looks to be the Line Attenuation.

Can you double check that your telephone lines head toward the same Green Street Cabinets? Also, daft I know, but is your neighbour's home physically next to yours (or a few metres away) or 50m or more away?

User05 asked if you could plug your router into the Test Socket. Could you confirm if you have done this please?

When doing this, could you double check that any extensions are dead as well.

Just use a microfilter & the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the Sagem 2304n to connect the router to the telephone socket. I would also be inclined to swap the microfilter with any others that you may have lying around. Sometimes the ones supplied by Sky are not of the best quality.

Take a look at the stats between each check. The router may take around two minutes to settle after each reconnection.

You also asked how do you check to confirm whether a telephone line has any noise on it. This is quite easy to do and requires a corded telephone handset.

Using the corded telephone, plug it into the test socket and dial '1'. Listen carefully for any signs of noise; crackling; or hiss. It should be totally silent. If there is any disturbance, then a friendly call to whom ever you pay your line rental to should be made to arrange for a BTO engineer to fix your telephone line.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Pabscars (04-06-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      On that router you definitely have the latest firmware version, so the router should be working reasonably well.

The main identifiable reason for the difference between your neighbour's connection and your own looks to be the Line Attenuation.

Can you double check that your telephone lines head toward the same Green Street Cabinets? Also, daft I know, but is your neighbour's home physically next to yours (or a few metres away) or 50m or more away?

User05 asked if you could plug your router into the Test Socket. Could you confirm if you have done this please?

When doing this, could you double check that any extensions are dead as well.

Just use a microfilter & the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the Sagem 2304n to connect the router to the telephone socket. I would also be inclined to swap the microfilter with any others that you may have lying around. Sometimes the ones supplied by Sky are not of the best quality.

Take a look at the stats between each check. The router may take around two minutes to settle after each reconnection.

You also asked how do you check to confirm whether a telephone line has any noise on it. This is quite easy to do and requires a corded telephone handset.

Using the corded telephone, plug it into the test socket and dial '1'. Listen carefully for any signs of noise; crackling; or hiss. It should be totally silent. If there is any disturbance, then a friendly call to whom ever you pay your line rental to should be made to arrange for a BTO engineer to fix your telephone line.
      Hi Scubbie, my house is in a row of terraced houses and therefore right next door, just feet away from my neighbour so I am in no doubt we are connected to the same cab.

The sagemcom modem is plugged directly into the test socket as described using the leads supplied in the kit, I've tried so far 3 different filters although they were all provided by sky, no extension leads whatsoever.

I will have to purchase a corded telephone in order to try for noise but I will see if I can blag one from a family member just to test for noise.

Thanks for the reply, again very much appreciated

Evil_Clown86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01922
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Im getting really slow speeds in my area (about 4 mbs down and 750kbs up) been with sky BB for over a year now and im thinking of joining virgin because the service is not as good as it should be.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast