Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Speed problems

This is a discussion on Speed problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you had not posted your neighbours stats, I would say you are doing reasonably well. However a difference in ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Speed problems

If you had not posted your neighbours stats, I would say you are doing reasonably well. However a difference in attenuation of nearly 7db shows there is something wrong with your line or router. Speak nicely to him/her and see if they will allow you to connect your router. It will do no harm, I am regularly changing the router on my line with no problems. I have just tried my old Dlink 604 and as it was syncing 3 Mb less than my main one, it was quickly removed

It looks like the filter you are using is doing more harm than good. At this point you want to see as high a noise margin as you can.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Pabscars (07-06-11)

3. Advertisement
      Pabscars is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate 01925
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you had not posted your neighbours stats, I would say you are doing reasonably well. However a difference in attenuation of nearly 7db shows there is something wrong with your line or router. Speak nicely to him/her and see if they will allow you to connect your router. It will do no harm, I am regularly changing the router on my line with no problems. I have just tried my old Dlink 604 and as it was syncing 3 Mb less than my main one, it was quickly removed

It looks like the filter you are using is doing more harm than good. At this point you want to see as high a noise margin as you can.
      Ah right thanks Isitme, I will change it back shortly. I spoke to my neighbour earlier this evening and mentioned about doing the modem/router swap to see what happens and he seems up for it.

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The official quiet line test is to dial 17070 & option 2. Best try that rather than what you did.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to timc For This Useful Post:

Pabscars (07-06-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
      The official quiet line test is to dial 17070 & option 2. Best try that rather than what you did.
      Thanks timc, does it still need the corder phone plugged directly into the test socket?.

Update:
      Armed with the info gleaned from you guys , I fired off a rather pleasant email to the CEO's office explaining my issues and asking for assistance, experience tells me this is the way to go in order to keep frustration and inconvenience to a minimum.

Ive had a responce already so fingers crossed they can start investigating.

Just to get things right in my head, ideally do I need lower attenuation and higher snr to increase line speed?

sorry for all the questions but were on a roll

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but going through the CEOs office will not be a lot quicker than going through normal channels. It'll still go to CST and it might still have to go to BT but tbh the speed compared to attenuation is about what's expected so not sure what you're looking to achieve
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Hate to be the bearer of bad news but going through the CEOs office will not be a lot quicker than going through normal channels. It'll still go to CST and it might still have to go to BT but tbh the speed compared to attenuation is about what's expected so not sure what you're looking to achieve
      Fair enough but it's still early days yet so I'm trying to remain optimistic , if you have a look back you will see my neighbours router stats (who is also with Sky) is syncing at almost double mine on the downstream.

I'm hoping the issue with the constant random rebooting was a simple fix by changing the PSU, so far so good on that one.

All I'm trying to achieve is a speed similar to my neighbour, because at the moment it doesnt take much to gobble up the available downstream bandwidth, and if I can find the extra couple of meg I'm looking for and should be able to achieve theoretically, it should help when her in doors is watching stuff on youtube etc and I'm trying to game.

I'm not expecting miracles of any sort but it would be nice to get closer to 6 meg rather than 3.5 wouldnt you agree. Also as well as the decrease in speed I get a much higher ping than my neighbour, again pointing to an issue somewhere.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Problem is their attenuation is lower probably suggesting their line takes a different route to the exchange. Obviously if it's a line fault then once sorted you might see the same figures but worst case is your longer line won't give any more
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Problem is their attenuation is lower probably suggesting their line takes a different route to the exchange. Obviously if it's a line fault then once sorted you might see the same figures but worst case is your longer line won't give any more
      Yes I completely agree with you, but my router is about 2 metres further away than there's, so logic would dictate that barring line issues we should get similar results.

All I'm trying to ascertain really is if I have a line fault, what do I need to do to get it rectified. As previously mentioned if I hadnt seen his results I would not have been suspicious, and all I want is the best I can get.

You would also expect being at the end of a row of 5 terraced houses we'd be connected via the same equipment and therefore the same length of copper.

You were right about the CEO's office, I had a call (CST) but was unfortunately in a meeting so I couldnt take it, thankfully they left a message saying basically the most my line can handle is 4 to 4.5Mbps, and they have passed it onto TS to give me a call back hopefully this evening.

May I say a big thanks for everyone's help so far, apologies if it may appear to some that I'm nit picking now, but that's not my intention.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

apologies if it may appear to some that I'm nit picking now, but that's not my intentio
      That's no problem. When you have a low speed, there is nothing wrong in trying to get the best you can. It would be different if you had 19 Mb and were moaning that you wanted 20 Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That's no problem. When you have a low speed, there is nothing wrong in trying to get the best you can. It would be different if you had 19 Mb and were moaning that you wanted 20 Mb.
      Well I've just got off the phone with tech support, a really nice chap basically ran a line test which came back indicating a fault, he mentioned something about a loop ??? and that the line had dropped out 4 times whilst he was running the test.

He then got me to disconnect the router then ran the test again then finally had me disconnect the phone and ran it yet again. Each the test came back showing the same fault on the line so I now have a BTO engineer booked for tomorrow afternoon.

Fingers crossed they find a fault because if they don't, apparently I could be in for a big bill.

Any ideas what the fault maybe

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast