Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will these Noise Margin figures slow my connection?

This is a discussion on Will these Noise Margin figures slow my connection? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been hovering around here (and elsewhere) for some time reading up as much as I can about ADSL ...

pgnl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMHAG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Will these Noise Margin figures slow my connection?

I have been hovering around here (and elsewhere) for some time reading up as much as I can about ADSL, because this is the first time I've used it, so be kind...

My Sky BB Unlimited was activated yesterday and I'm still waiting tentatively to see what speed I will get in the end.

I live about 1.4Km from the exchange, but the external phone wiring has been there since the house was built in the fifties. I have no new style split master socket, in the early 80's BT replaced the hard wired phone, with a normal BT socket and also installed two hard wired extension sockets one upstairs one down using normal BT cable.

I have disconnected (yeah, perhaps I shouldn't have) the orange/white & white orange bell ring cables (leaving just blue/white, white blue connected) and at the two extension points, replaced the faceplates for joint phone/ADSL types, the sky box & DECT phone are connected via a separate plug in extension via a second filter (just in case) from one of the filtered plates.

I have tried the router (Sagem 2304N with firmware 5.14.6.1a4n) in ALL three sockets and the stats are pretty much the same at all of them.

System Up Time: 0:06:16

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 8768 13470 0 676048 19408756 0:05:31
      LAN Up 15240 10043 0 20816478 878548 0:06:16
      WLAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4095 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.0 dB 19.2 dB
      Noise Margin 14.9 dB 17.4 dB

From the various checkers I've tried I reckon I may get 11-12 mbps if I'm lucky.

What I don't understand is the noise margin figures, will these slow me down? I've tried unplugging the phone/sky box extension, but this has virtually no effect (and yes I rebooted the router each time!)

I know ultimately it's a waiting game until DLM has completed, but is there anything else I can do, that you can suggest to improve the stats?

Many thanks

Patrick

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Will these Noise Margin figures slow my connection?

Be patient and plug your router into the Master Socket.

If you do not have the split faceplate of the NTE5 socket, then you can identify the master by the AAA sized yellow capacitor behind the solid faceplate.

If your speeds are a little off, then you may benefit from fitting a filtered faceplate. This is something that I would most certainly consider in your case anyway.

I would also recommend that you purchase an IDC tool at the same time as this would help in installing it.

Most filtered faceplates available are specifically for the NTE5 socket. You can get them for other sockets as well.

Why would I suggest this in your case? Because it would filter the ADSL signal from the hardwired extensions and improve your connection speed further.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Scubbie, I've lost count of the number of posts of yours I've read over the past week or so..

I know where the main phone line comes in, so assume that that socket nearest the old GPO bakelite box on the wall is the master (although as I mentioned above it is not a new style split socket so an NTE5 plug filter in isn't an option).

Since the two extension sockets are BT wired and the stats are virtually the same at all three sockets including the master, will it really make any difference filtering the extensions at the master socket?

Thanks again

Patrick

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Are all your sockets hard-wired to the GPO junction box separately or are they daisy chained together?

Thanks

Hi..

There's a single white cable from the GPO junction box, to the white (none NTE5) BT socket. There are two other cables leaving the socket, one to each of the hard wired extensions. If I unscrew the faceplate of the master socket, there are three cables with each of the blue/white and white/blue twisted together (I carefully disconnected the orange/white, white orange ones) which are then pushed into the relevant 2/5 IDC cable receptacles.

I suppose I could work out a way to pre-filter the two extensions, but I also have the problem of no power socket nearby for the router to plug into..

Patrick

Thanks

It would be best if you temporarily disconnect your two extensions from your master socket and test your router here to see if it improves your stats. If it makes a considerable difference you could get one of these for your master socket to filter out the ADSL signal here.

If it doesn't make a difference then there's no point having your router at your master and you can plug it at one of your extensions which has a power supply nearby.

Thanks

Thanks for all of your replies, DLM finally started today, the stats are now showing as :

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 1401588 4895070 0 86950968 2147483647 14:51:39
      LAN Up 4917239 2932697 0 2147483647 195522310 22:24:10
      WLAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12584 kbps 945 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.0 dB 19.5 dB
      Noise Margin 4.1 dB 14.1 dB

Which aren't too bad, I suspect it's asking a lot to get much better than that with my Line Attenuation. I will let DLM run it's course now it's started and avoid switching off the router. However once it's completed, I will disconnect the two hard wired extensions from the master socket to see if the attenuation improves.

I was worrying initially about the high noise margin but then read that they initially put you on ADSL and when they turn on DLM they switch you to ADSL2+, the Attenuation can increase, but the noise margin will drop to lower levels, which they have. Is that right?

Patrick

Thanks

The minimum noise margin DLM will train your line at is 7. Hence, you've either got wiring issues or a line with fluctuating noise levels.

Thanks

So are you saying that the end result after DLM will likely to be lower than it is now?

Also, do you think it's worth interrupting DLM to disconnect the hard wired extensions, so I can try connecting the router without them?

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pgnl View Post
      So are you saying that the end result after DLM will likely to be lower than it is now?
      In theory that's true. Unless your wiring is holding you down you will get a lower sync then that post DLM.

Quote Originally Posted by pgnl View Post
      Also, do you think it's worth interrupting DLM to disconnect the hard wired extensions, so I can try connecting the router without them?
      Most of the people here end up ringing Sky to have their speeds sorted so it's no biggie. Go for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast