Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Undecided Adrian

Theft of Copper

This is a discussion on Theft of Copper within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For those of you who were complaining recently about how Sky were responsible for not reconnecting your telephone and broadband ...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Theft of Copper

For those of you who were complaining recently about how Sky were responsible for not reconnecting your telephone and broadband services recently, I believe that you may be interested in this story:

BBC News - Berkshire village's phones cut off after cable thefts

Hundreds of residents in a Berkshire village are without phone lines or internet due to thefts of underground cabling.

Kintbury, which has a population of 2,500, first suffered a loss in phone service on 24 May.

A further two thefts took place over the weekend, which BT said has "seriously delayed" their efforts to restore services.

It added that 475 customers in Kintbury are affected by the thefts.

BT says it is offering a £1,000 reward for information which could lead to the thieves being caught.

©BBC 2011

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Theft of Copper

happening all the time, they seem to be mostly active in Kent.

Although near here in Luton they keep on ripping out the fibre connection costing millions and people around there go without phone and BB for days on end.

Sooner or later they will get an active power cable and I doubt anybody will be sympathtic when they fry themselves.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I am aware that it has been happening for some time now.

Theft of copper cable from railway lines is very common too.

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      Sooner or later they will get an active power cable and I doubt anybody will be sympathtic when they fry themselves.
      Evil, but very illuminating!

It would be expensive, but I would not be surprised if BTO were installing hidden cameras in order to help to catch those who are doing this. Network Rail has already started using this technique.

Police are already putting pressure on the people who may be in the market for purchasing the stolen cable. If they can prevent it from being exported as well, then this would stop it from being profitable.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

BTO are installing smart water dye packs onto manhole covers which will explode over people if they don't open the manhole correctly.

Herts Police had a big blitz on stolen metal, not just copper wire also road signs and the poles they were attched to were being stolen in a big way.

After a few raids at scrapyards there were lots of arrests and also some cars and vans were impounded, I assume as they didn't have TAX, MOT etc
      Scubbie likes this.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!