Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My Parent's Sky broadband - the start of a saga

This is a discussion on My Parent's Sky broadband - the start of a saga within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The best antivirus program going forward would be AVG Free. its free - does the job and detects and little ...

jasw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: My Parent's Sky broadband - the start of a saga

The best antivirus program going forward would be AVG Free. its free - does the job and detects and little squirms! Ive never had a problem with it

2. Advertisement
      timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Override View Post
      I can pretty much discount malware / virus. My father's computer is running avast and is scanned regularly by Spybot Search and destroy and Malware Bytes Anti Malware. To be on the safe side though I did try a couple of other computers of mine, one running Windows 7 and another running Ubuntu Linux.
      When you tried the other computers was your father's powered up & connected?

If yes I'd try a complete restart ie. leave Dad's computer off , restart/reboot the router , leave it for say 5 minutes & then connect one of yours.

Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Crash Override

Im sorry to hear you are having issue's with your Router. I would definately advise getting back in touch so we can look into this for you, as this is not the type of service we would expect. At present we are seeing a lot of customers with the same router as yourselves having similar issue's.

Click here to contact us

Thanks
      Sky eService Team

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help
      My Sky and Sky iD https://mysky.sky.com

Crash Override is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCLIT
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
      When you tried the other computers was your father's powered up & connected?

If yes I'd try a complete restart ie. leave Dad's computer off , restart/reboot the router , leave it for say 5 minutes & then connect one of yours.
      No, only a single machine connected at any time.

I've been doing this for a long time, and the Sagem is singularly the worst router I have encountered. I thought the old BT issue Alcatel Speedtouch products were bad but this definitely takes the credit now.

Request to sky - let people connect their own modem / router equipment, you don't have to support it if it's not one of yours, but let people have the information so they can make the choice if they so choose.

I look on the official sky forums and I see over 500 complaints. the tier 2 callback I am waiting for (still) I was advised would take 24-72 hours. Then there will be the delay while the new equipment is posted out, it's ridiculous. I could go to a local store and buy a replacement, or, hang on, I have one ready to go. I just can't use it. (Officially)

As for the choice of Avast - it's as good as if not better than AVG free, includes a sandbox for questionable downloads, has a smaller overhead on the computer's operation and is also free for personal use.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You can easily get your details from the Sky router, many do. Just look around the forum for the details.

Crash Override is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCLIT
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

Update - the 72 hours in which someone from Sky Tier 2 will phone me back has now expired, and no callback.

I see there was someone from Sky on here earlier and they said they are having a lot of problems with this model router. I would concur, at this point from a cost point of view Sky have a couple of options.
      1) Keep pouring money into researching WHY the sagem router is so bad, try to patch the firmware so it works and then replace any dead units or get the firmware onto those responsive enough to be able to load it.
      2) Source a better router from a different supplier - again this is going to cost in R&D time as much as anything.
      3) Start letting people buy and use their own routers. - Probably the most cost effective path. For those who know what they're doing - easy. For those capable of reading the router's instructions or menus - easy. for the rest - use Sky routers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12