Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Magic Eye issue with newer model TV's

This is a discussion on Magic Eye issue with newer model TV's within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Good evening forum. I have encountered a problem which seems to be very uncommon indeed after hundreds of hours of ...

DIONCOOKE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Atherton
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Magic Eye issue with newer model TV's

Good evening forum. I have encountered a problem which seems to be very uncommon indeed after hundreds of hours of research. I had a magic eye linked from the powered rf outlets of my sky box to the tv upstairs. Everything working perfect, good picture and channel changing fine.

I then buy a new TV and replace the old one. Plug the magic eye in to the back of the TV, and...nothing. Ive noticed that the new TV also has a 5v powered RF port which cannot be switched on or off. Because both the Sky box and the TV has powered RF ports on each end of the circuit, its shorting the magic eye out! How the hell do I work around this!!!!

I have tried switiching the power to the rf ports on the sky box off to see if the tv rf port will power the magic eye, but it doesnt. URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!!!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Magic Eye issue with newer model TV's

I would be inclined to take it up with the manufacturer of the TV set.

Sky's magic eye system, whilst not perfect, has been around for a substantial number of years now.

I don't know if it is used elsewhere, but I do know that signal boosters where modified to allow the voltage & signal to pass through them, not just the TV signal.

worst case scenario, you have a period of time where you can return the TV and ask for a full refund as it is not suitable for you requirements.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

What makes you think the TV has power from the RF? (make & model)

If you unplug the magic eye from the TV, then try switching channels and then plug it back it, has the channel changed??? if not then I would think the problem was not the TV and you would need to investigate further.

eddie555 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: bt
      Router: DGND3700
      Thanks

if there is a voltage on the new TV then there is a simple solution, and that is, fit a small
      capacitor in the coaxial plug going into the back of the TV on the center pin, this will block
      any DC voltage.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

The 5v power output from the TV is now quite common and is used to drive low power masthead amplifiers. Most TVs which have this use auto line power which will detect if the 5v is needed and so there will be no option to turn it off. You cannot get 5v one way and 9v the other as the output from the magic eye is isolated from from any voltage travelling either way. The OP stated that he got nothing when he plugged the eye in which leads me to suspect that he hasn't tuned the analogue sky channel in.

DIONCOOKE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Atherton
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi guys. Yes the analogue RF channel is tuned in as i have perfect picture just no power to eye in order to change channel. The TV,s RF is powered as it says so on the sticker next to the RF port and this is definately the problem as the eye works perfect on another tv set without powered RF.

Would it be worth elaborating on eddie555's post regarding a small capacitor?

Thank you all for your positive input!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I guess that you haven't contacted the manufacturer of the TV?

As I mentioned previously, the Magic-Eye system has been around for some years now.

I really don't think that it would be exclusively available on Sky's STB, but i could be wrong. I would have thought that other countries may have something similar where they are.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Has you magic eye got a power light on it to show it is working?

If so, I take it that the light is on when it is not plugged into the TV (just connected to the coax) and then goes off when it is plugged into the TV? is that right?

Did you try as I asked, unplug the magic eye from the TV, turn over the channel and then plug it in, if your theory is correct, it should work. You could also bring in the other TV and test it on that one, I still have a feeling that there is something else at fault here.

I am not sure if there is anything "off the shelf" that will allow you to deal with the TV voltage, Maplins or CPC may have something.

Also, a different magic eye may also stop it being affected. Having fitted 100's of these, I have never had this problem, normally it is a poor connection or dodgy cable.

eddie555 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: bt
      Router: DGND3700
      Thanks

Ok first let me say that you should follow Smithy99 suggestions and make sure that the eye is working ok, it could be a bad connection on the cable, but if you think its working and its a voltage from the new tv then you can block it, now elaborating on what I posted about a capacitor, they will block DC but it would need soldering onto the center wire and then onto the center pin of the coax plug. I.e it would be between the center pin and wire of the coax plug, for RF any small value from 200pf upwards would do, but before going to this trouble you should make sure the problem is as you suggested.
      hope this helps.
      Last edited by eddie555; 05-06-11 at 09:43 AM.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

You can buy off the shelf DC blocks, but they are normally an F plug type connection so a few F to coax adapters will be needed. PARAGON (52503) 75 OHM F MALE - F FEM TERMINATOR DC BLOCK
      (Where I work)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast