Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Intermittent Connection Returns

This is a discussion on Intermittent Connection Returns within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Last month I had really bad intermittent connection, for about 2 weeks, sky sent me 2 routers, I changed the ...

evokazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Intermittent Connection Returns

Last month I had really bad intermittent connection, for about 2 weeks, sky sent me 2 routers, I changed the cables, tested through master socket, the line was reconfigured twice, it suddenly fixed itself after 3 days on a new router, and me moving it to another shelf on my home cinema unit. We put it down to overheating of the router, and all worked flawlessly for about 4 weeks. In that time it only disconnected twice in a month, which is more than acceptable in my eyes, both times being in the middle of the night. 3 days ago the internet went off, then came back within 10 minutes, from that point till now, I have had around 30 disconnects in 3 days!!!!! I have redone all the tests I am able, test socket, changed filter, made sure cables are snug etc. I have a desktop computer and a laptop computer connected, one via ethernet, one via wi-fi. I got a few IP CONFLICT messages on the laptop, so I turned it off for a few days thinking it could be related, but I had 8 disconnects yesterday with no laptop on!! Sky have changed my line around again to try make it stable, there was a service announcement on the phone to sky saying there was outages, this was a relief, as I thought, phew, its just a tech hiccup, but after talking to an operator, he said the outage will not affect me as I live nowhere near it!! This morning I have been awake 1 hour, and had 3 disconnects already. I have no extensions in my home, I only use the master socket, with a ADSL Nation fitted faceplate (I have removed this and tried microfilter also). My stats are here:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 6423 8267 0 1862 9275 00:13:54
      LAN 12191 9470 0 12212 2437 00:14:58
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7200 kbps 1024 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.5db 26.0db
      Noise Margin 9.4db 8.0db

I did a silent line test, the internet disconnected while I was doing it, and it does often drop suring a phone call, but I think this is more coincidence. The silent line test for the most part was pretty silent, but during the 1 minute I was on, had about 3 big waves of crackle on the line. Any help appreciated, am at the end of my tether!!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Intermittent Connection Returns

had about 3 big waves of crackle on the line
      If you are getting this with the phone directly into the Test socket with nothing else connected, it looks like you have a line fault. Call Sky and ask them to check your line as you are getting noise on it which is effecting your broadband. If your phone rental is with BT you may have to phone them and report a fault on your line. Tell them you are getting a crackle on the line even when plugged into the Test socket..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey, thanks for the reply, I just did as you said, I am with Sky Talk, so I called them instead, luckily that was correct as they said BT wont entertain me cos I have Sky Talk. The guy on the phone asked me if I had extensions (I dont). He told me to plug directly to master socket, which already is. He then phoned my mobile while he did some tests on the line. He said there is no notable errors on my line

He did say though there was some slight noise, but only ever so slight. He said an engineer would take a look at the exchange, but cant book that until Tuesday cos of bank holiday etc. He made some small changes to my line he said (thought only Broadband did that?). He said it would not affect changes Sky did with Broadband yesterday as this is a different thing altogether.

Said once said engineer has checked the exchange he will be calling here at my home on wednesday morning to check my internal/external line. He said nothing about charges, so thats good. Hopefully this can be sorted once and for all. I have a small feeling water is getting into my line as it is worse when it rains!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

You are responsible for any internal wiring from the Test Socket.

Your call provider (i.e. Sky Talk) is responsible for the maintenance of the line between your test socket and the telephone exchange.

So if there is a fault, then you will not be charged for the call out.

Since you say that he could hear a noise on the line, then he can show that there is a fault.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK. The guy who I called regarding my phone line said he made some changes on the line, but still sending an engineer, weird thing is, it disconnected a total of 6 times this morning, but since speaking to this guy, I have not been cut off once (yet).

Is it possible that doing something to my phone line he could of fixed it?

Note this was relating to phone, not broadband, I tried the broadband people but nothing worked.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Scrap that, had 3 disconnects in 2 hours today, what a load of garbage this has ended up being. 4 years flawless internet, then the 5th year it all goes to pot.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you still getting the crackles on your phone line? If you are, push them to get it fixed and your broadband will also improve.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes the engineer is coming wednesday to check the line, if he doesn't show I will be ringing them back wednesday tea time. I have narrowed it down to 2 possible problems: Mainly due to the crackling being still present during phone calls.

1) Faulty external line
      2) Faulty test socket

Other factors, that I have tested:

1) Router (tried 3)
      2) Broadband cable (tested 3 different ones)
      3) ADSL Nation faceplate (removed and tried test socket)
      4) Ethernet cables (although likely wont affect connection, replaced all)
      5) PC & Laptop Software (formatted both, but connection still goes on XBOX)
      6) Dynamode Port Switch (told this would not affect incoming line or cause disconnects)
      7) SkyHD Anytime+ (disabled and unplugged - also normal anytime deactivated)
      8) 9 devices connected (still intermittent with just 1 connected)
      9) WI-FI (Disabled, no change)
      10) UPNP (Disabled, no change)

Todays Stats, disconnected 15 minutes ago:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2129 2719 0 752 2634 00:12:53
      LAN 8305 5986 0 4419 1526 00:18:52
      WLAN 3414 2387 0 1442 838 00:12:44
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7200 kbps 1024 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.5db 26.0db
      Noise Margin 9.4db 8.0db
      Last edited by evokazz; 28-05-11 at 01:31 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I just thought of one thing. I have everything plugged directly into the master socket, but my house phone (digital cordless) the base would not reach, so I added a small extension cable, that is not very long at all. It goes from the master socket, half way round my small living room, and has a plug in socket thing at the end, the base of my house phone then plugs into this so it will reach. Should this small extension have a microfilter fitted?

The faceplate is an ADSL Nation faceplate, it has its own independant broadband socket, then the phone socket next to it. The phone socket has a double adapter plugged into it, from this comes the extension to the house phone mentioned above, and another cable to the sky box.

Could the double adapter cause broadband disconnects? even though the broadband has its own socket. Or maybe the small extension. The extension is very small, a little wider than my living room window, its a bought one, not something I threw together lol

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

When you tested the telephone line for any noise, did you not use the Test Socket or the Socket in the Faceplate, without any telephone extension?

If this is the case, then the crackles indicate that there is a fault on the line. This is what will be causing your Internet to keep dropping.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast