Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Intermittent Connection Returns

This is a discussion on Intermittent Connection Returns within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I take it when replacement equipment has been sent by Sky that you've tried different adsl cables that came?...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Connection Returns

I take it when replacement equipment has been sent by Sky that you've tried different adsl cables that came?

2. Advertisement
      evokazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Yep, sure have. The only thing that remains the same is the Plug/Power Brick, but I am just on my downstairs to replace that with a new one, as I have read that although rare, is can cause static on a line if the Plug is old or faulty.

Weird thing is this guy eventually called back and said the exchange was perfect. I then went out for an hour with the dog, intending on coming back and exchange router etc, and swap things about. When I got home I had a missed call from the engineer, my daughter said she picked up the phone, it was terribly crackly, and the guy just said hello then hung up. I tried to call him back using the number from call log, but no answer. Then I realised, although my daughter said the line was crackly, 20 mins after he phoned the line appears to be clear as day?

I have unplugged the ADSL cable, and done quiet line test, all good. plugged it back in, let it sync (green light modem) and done another test, and all is silent again. I made a phone call to the vets (dog is ill) and there was one slight crackle during the 4 minute call.

I wonder if he called back to say the line may take a bit for adjustments to happen? Even though he said all was perfect, he did tell me that he reset the exchange server, whatever that means, and it could make a slight difference, but he said thats just procedure when checking the exchange. Im going to leave as is today and monitor. Will keep updated, and input appreciated, it may help someone else down the line.

UPDATE

Just noticed something, look at earlier stats:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 49131 88158 0 1528 39985 00:49:08
      LAN 17449243 12938935 0 4097 1544 76:44:34
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6073 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0db 25.9db
      Noise Margin 11.0db 11.0db

Then these:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 3235 4781 0 845 7677 00:11:47
      LAN 17481900 12960684 0 4151 1531 78:17:39
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7442 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.5db 26.0db
      Noise Margin 7.8db 11.0db

I dont know the main difference, but a lot of numbers on there seem to have jumped and dropped, is this a good sign? The router has an uptime of 78 hours at the minute (power not connection, as ADSL cable was unplugged about an hour ago)

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

The stats do look good - just monitor for noise from here on in. If you do get another bout of noise, then do make sure you switch over the PSU as well at some point to fully rule out equipment issues.

evokazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Excellent, thanks, I will leave as is for now, and keep updated, if the noise comes back I'll post, already changed PSU, so will see what happens, fingers crossed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123