Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

connection speed

This is a discussion on connection speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi recently migrated to Sky BB Unlimited came on today but have noticed its only syncing at 4mb. Quick google ...

mily316 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

connection speed

Hi recently migrated to Sky BB Unlimited came on today but have noticed its only syncing at 4mb. Quick google search resulted in this being a common occurence amongst sky users.

Should the speeds get updated tomorrow or will i be on 4mb throughout as this seems like a dumb practice to me although on reflection when compared to BT DLM its not even close. BT's DLM is the most painful connection experience I've ever had wow it sucks major balls.

Anyway I was wondering if someone could calculate what speeds i should be getting from them. These stats are from the router connected to the main test socket within my household.

Connection Speed 4095 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.5 dB 23.2 dB
      Noise Margin 7.4 dB 16.0 dB

previous ISP details
      orange LLU stable 850 kbytesps download (7.5mbps?)

When the conenction was first activated I had periods where i could get downloads well over 8mb such as 1.24 mega bytes per second, this however didnt last long but worked fine when it was active it was also possible rarely very late at night.

They then migrated all orange llu customers on to 21cn and i lost 2mb so have now migrated to sky due to the LLU part.

Also another quick question does the F@ST2304 support wireless N? If so which type (150mb/300mb) as I can't seem to find a way to change the mode anywhere in the router.

Also could disabling upnp effect DLM as I don't like having it enabled.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
      Last edited by mily316; 28-05-11 at 06:06 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: connection speed

This should all have been explained in the letter that came from Sky.

When you are first connected, those are the standard figures. DLM will start over the next 72 hours and will then progress over a period of up to 10 days.

For a guide on how much you can achieve from your connection, try the link below:

SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

For your line attenuations I got the following message:

"We estimate your line is capable of between 8mb to 9mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service."

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mily316 (28-05-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nah only letter I got was about skytalk. it does however mention it when you login online. That 72 hour period does it include weekends? If it hasnt started by 3 days should i give sky a call and get them to start it? I previously phoned them up moaning about the speeds and found this out later on in the evening, hope that call doesnt come back to bite me in the ass.

Thanks

For now, check which firmware you have on your router.

If it is 5.12.4a4n or 5.14.6a4N or 5.14.6b4N, then disable the WiFi on the router ( Sagemcom C8CD firmware updates should be happening now ,
      Sagem F@ST 2304n WiFi issues , Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information ).

If you have 5.14.6.1a4N, then you have the new firmware and can use the WiFi safely.

Next take a look at the router statistics page.

http://192.168.0.1/sky_system.html

You are looking at the WAN uptime. If DLM has started, then this will reset sometime between 1 am & 6 am.

DLM rarely does not start, so please be patient.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mily316 (28-05-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Looking at your stats your low noise margin compared to the sync speed suggests you will not get much more. Plug into your Test socket if you have one and take the stats from there - How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

The fact that you experienced a drop in speed previously when you were moved to 21CN could be due to your line not handling ADSL2+ very well. Although your line is not that long, it is possible. Let DLM run and see how it sets your line. You may have to ask Sky to try your line on G.DMT if the speed does not imptove.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

mily316 (28-05-11)

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mily316 View Post
      They then migrated all orange llu customers on to 21cn and i lost 2mb so have now migrated to sky due to the LLU part.
      I've just lost 8meg as there's no 21cn in my exchange. Just waiting for my MAC code so I can migrate to Sky as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to timc For This Useful Post:

mily316 (28-05-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Looking at your stats your low noise margin compared to the sync speed suggests you will not get much more. Plug into your Test socket if you have one and take the stats from there - How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

The fact that you experienced a drop in speed previously when you were moved to 21CN could be due to your line not handling ADSL2+ very well. Although your line is not that long, it is possible. Let DLM run and see how it sets your line. You may have to ask Sky to try your line on G.DMT if the speed does not imptove.
      All good now router uptime hasn't reset but i am now getting 7.5mb as I was previously with Orange, that speed was also consistent over an entire year, it was never ever slower and those stats were from the test socket. I've always used the test socket for broadband, habit I picked up years ago. Nothing wrong with the signal on the line like i said its been on that signal for an entire year. I just run it down to the most simplest explanation, BT suck.

Is there anything I can do on my end to improve speeds as I know I can get more, internal wiring etc.

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
      I've just lost 8meg as there's no 21cn in my exchange. Just waiting for my MAC code so I can migrate to Sky as well.
      Aye migrate from the sods if you've had faster before theres no reason why you cant get that again elsewhere. Dunno BT have always sucked, for me anyway. Just keep in mind they'll cap you on 4mb for the first couple of days god knows why they do this its retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      For now, check which firmware you have on your router.

If it is 5.12.4a4n or 5.14.6a4N or 5.14.6b4N, then disable the WiFi on the router ( Sagemcom C8CD firmware updates should be happening now ,
      Sagem F@ST 2304n WiFi issues , Sagemcom F@ST 2304n Information ).

If you have 5.14.6.1a4N, then you have the new firmware and can use the WiFi safely.

Next take a look at the router statistics page.

http://192.168.0.1/sky_system.html

You are looking at the WAN uptime. If DLM has started, then this will reset sometime between 1 am & 6 am.

DLM rarely does not start, so please be patient.
      Aye have checked, and I'm on the latest firmware cheers for the heads up there, as I would not have checked this. Connection time does look like its reset and I am now getting 7.5 so as you can imagine I'm made up.

I've checked the modes for wireless on the router and it doesn't seem to support wireless N, so I'm going to call Sky up tomorrow and find out if they do a router with this as I can't really do without it. Seeing as it hasn't got this mode how come it has N at the end of the firmware and the model, bit odd imo.

Also to everyone that has replied to me, much appreciated thank you.
      Last edited by mily316; 28-05-11 at 06:31 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

edited by me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mily316 View Post
      I've checked the modes for wireless on the router and it doesn't seem to support wireless N, so I'm going to call Sky up tomorrow and find out if they do a router with this as I can't really do without it. Seeing as it hasn't got this mode how come it has N at the end of the firmware and the model, bit odd imo.
      This router is not currently fully WiFi n rated.

The maximum WiFi speed is currently 72mbps, which is more than WiFi g.

The WiFi chip inside is capable of supporting WiFi n.

Sky has announced that it plans to roll out an firmware next month, but after the recent issues I'm not sure how this is going to proceed now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

All good now router uptime hasn't reset but i am now getting 7.5mb
      As Subbie pointed out it is the WAN time that will reset, usually between 2 and 3 in the morning, the router uptime will usually only change with an automatic firmware update. Could you post your stats as they are now?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast