Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DLM fun!

This is a discussion on DLM fun! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, Just a couple of question regards DLM . I moved my connection to the test socket as the ...

Moots is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DLM fun!

Hi Guys,
      Just a couple of question regards DLM.

I moved my connection to the test socket as the wiring in my house seems to have problems and i get ~ 0.5mb unless i'm in the test socket.

When i initially ran a speed test after plugging into the test socket i pulled 6.6mb, DLM has been on going for about a week now and my speed is now 2mb. stats below, any reason for this?

If i was getting near enough 7mb and it was stable before why would it drop me to 2mb? i'm hoping that it will go back to 6/7mb but i get the feeling that i'm going to have to contact sky when it's finished and spend half an hour on the phone explaining to someone that i think my line can handle more.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DLM fun!-stats.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Broadband ISP: EE Fibre (rubbish!)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q and Mini
      Thanks

Re: DLM fun!

Using this: SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

It suggests that for your downstream attenuation of 45.5, you should be getting 7-8 Mb/s. From what I understand, the DLM process slows the speed increased down, as it gets closer to the golden figure of 7 db for the noise margin.

You're currently at 8.1db. I'm sure someone will shortly explain why your downstream is so low in comparison to the attentuation and the noise margin. I wonder if you have noise on your line.

Or if moving the router caused DLM to give up. Edit: oh no it retried 18 hours ago.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yea i've been looking at other posts saying it should be around 7db. it was 6.6mb and the noise margin was 7.5 so pretty much spot on.

Just confuses me that it just seems to be decreasing in speed rather than fluctuating at all, it's been getting steadily slower since the DLM started.

Exchange:
      Thanks

looks like sky settled on 2mb which im not happy with at all, especially seeing as i was getting over 3 times that figure at first.
      As mentioned before i was on the same exchange but over a mile further away and getting better speeds than this at my old place.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are plugged into the test socket using only the cable supplied by Sky, this suggest you may have a line fault or possibly a dodgy router. Do you have another router you could try?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are plugged into the test socket using only the cable supplied by Sky, this suggest you may have a line fault or possibly a dodgy router. Do you have another router you could try?
      I called sky and had a moan and i'm now getting 4mb as below.

Still reckon i could get more but it's more hassle ringing them and explaining to the next person i get put through to!!!

I've added a screenshot from before DLM process started too so i know i can get a better speed !
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DLM fun!-skystats.jpg   DLM fun!-untitled.jpg  

Thanks

According to your screen shot you are getting a sync of 5.6Mbps. This should give you a download speed of around 5Mbps and an actual rate of 0.6 MBps or 620KBps.

Your noise margin is below the default so there is a possibility that your line will drop and sync lower. You are getting as much as your line can handle as it stands. As I said earlier, you line is not very good or your router is faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nope, that's from before the DLM began. The one showing 4093 is what i'm currently getting, and the noise margin is up at 8ish so i reckon i could probably get back up to near enough 5-5.5mb.

Any of you guys be able to tell roughly what i should be able to get?

Thanks

Sorry, mixed up your screen shots.

8db is only 1.2 db above the default. I doubt if that will give you another 1.5Mb with stability. Before DLM starts your line is set to 4Mb, so the 5.6 was after DLM had started, possibly the first change. It is possible that your margin is dropping much lower when the line is noisy, you could try downloading and running Router Stats Lite for a couple of days. This will show how your line is performing over a period.

Internet Software

TomD

Useful Utilites