Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky connect extremely slow evening speeds

This is a discussion on Sky connect extremely slow evening speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Recently had Sky Connect installed. I live less than 100yards from the exhange, and was predicted around 8Mb/s speeds. During ...

Yowser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWPURI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky connect extremely slow evening speeds

Recently had Sky Connect installed.

I live less than 100yards from the exhange, and was predicted around 8Mb/s speeds.

During the day, speed tests from places like speedtest.net and speedtest.bbmax.co.uk indicate im getting 6-7 Mb/s download , which Im very happy with - Gaming, voice chat, streaming services all work perfectly and downloading is great.

However in the evenings, from about 6pm to midnight everything gets painfully slow and the same tests indicate im getting just 0.1 - 0.2 Mb/s ! Gaming, voice chat and streaming services become unuseable and my download rate drops to a measely 10-15 KB/s

My Router stats during these very slow periods indicate im still getting good speeds though :

ADSL Link - Downstream - Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 5.0 db 3.0 db
      Noise Margin 13.6 db 19.0 db

I spoke to Sky Support who got me to check the Router stats and then told me that they are the actual speeds Im receiving and therefore any speed issues Im experiencing is between my PC and the Router. This I can not believe, since I get such good speeds during the day and nothing changes in my setup.

My guess would be that the exchange servers are severly overloaded during these peak times and just cant cope, but Im a bit of a loss as to what to do now and if Sky are even able to do anything about it ?
      Last edited by Yowser; 24-05-11 at 10:57 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky connect extremely slow evening speeds

In short there's nothing you can do about it and it's not going to sort itself out. You don't have LLU suppliers at your exchange either.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Well the OP could move to a better managed ISP that isn't Sky.

Plusnet, IDNET, Zen etc etc, Heck even BT as long as he stays away from o2 Access he should be getting better than Connect.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Yowser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWPURI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

So is the Router statistics the max connection speed before any bandwidth load/sharing with everyone else connecting to the exchange is taken into account ?

Is swapping to another providor really going to make any difference, if the problem is down to the BT exchange that Sky rent from ?

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yowser View Post

So is the Router statistics the max connection speed before any bandwidth load/sharing with everyone else connecting to the exchange is taken into account ?
      Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yowser View Post
      Is swapping to another providor really going to make any difference, if the problem is down to the BT exchange that Sky rent from ?
      Different ISP's will have different times that will be classified as 'peak' and different throttling rates. While with Other ISP's you would still be throttled at peak times they may not do it as harshly as Sky.

adamcooke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Correct.

This sounds like simple contention on the Sky network or at your BT exchange rather than anything local to your property/equipment. If the contention occurs on the Sky network, a new provider would solve this but if it's at exchange level you'll probably get the same.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The problem is Sky Connect, it has been going on for years now and is basically dur to Sky cramming more customers onto their Sky Connect package than it can handle.

Come peak hours when BT apply Skys paid for capacity everybody is then forced to share the capacity Sky have paid for which is nowhere near enough for the current customer base of around 2 million users.

Not only do they not have enough capacity, the poor management of what they do have does not limit things like P2P during this restricted period so the available bandwidth is hoovered up by the few leaving little for even the light users like gamers etc.

If you cannot get another LLU provider at your exchange they you should look at a better managed network like Plusnet, Zen, IdNet, these all use the same BT equipment but do it in a much better way so as not to kill your connection.

Sky should be ashamed of themselves, this has been going on for too long without it being sorted. I notice that the official "Sky users" have not replied to any of these queries or questions.

SkyCST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02087
      Broadband ISP: Other
      Thanks

In regards to Sky Connect traffic management, yes you are likely to notice a slow down in the evening.

Its only possible to do anything about this if the speeds you achieve in the evening are constantly below 500kbps.
      Anything higher than this and it is deemed acceptable by BT and sky can not action.

Im in the same position as yourself with no ISP available on LLU.

Was on a non BT ISP for a while which was shockingly terrible, was fine for the first year or two.

But then every evening speeds down from 8mbps to 600kbps.
      Nothing anyone would do about it.

SO i moved to BT, and everything is fine.

With sky, you are being traffic managed by BT, and then again by Sky.

Only real choice is to move to BT, you could move to another Connect service non BT, but, because it is BT's equiptment you are likely to recieve best service on their equiptment.

It is a shame and sky should be ashamed of connect, it is a appauling service in reality.

But they are trying to provide a service where they have no LLU equiptment, once they upgrade all UK exchanges everything will improve.

For the time being, move to BT.

silver tractor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kesgrave
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If you are a Vodafone mobile customer it might be worth considering their Vodafone at Home package (home broadband, line rental and unlimited calls).

I live 1.5 miles from the exchange and was getting 5Mb/s and 100% reliability ( cost of full package 25 per month).

My speeds are not much better on Sky llu and in the 2 weeks since I migrated to them my phone line has developed faults too.

I am starting to regret leaving Vodafone!

SkyCST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02087
      Broadband ISP: Other
      Thanks

Its unfortunate that you have started to develop faults on your telephone line.

What kind of faults are you experiancing? only thing thats changed is you are now either on sky equiptment or you are running off bt wholesale line rental.

So if its a physical fault it would of happened regardless of your service providor is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast