Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can I get faster than 8Mbps?

This is a discussion on Can I get faster than 8Mbps? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well, not only would it mean an alternative for the sky box, but it would also mean that neither me ...

JS92 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Can I get faster than 8Mbps?

Well, not only would it mean an alternative for the sky box, but it would also mean that neither me or my brother could get a signal up in our rooms for both our Xbox 360's, his laptop and my PC. We barely get a decent strong signal as it is with the router in its current position, never mind at the master socket as its literally the furthest possible place in the house.

So... does Sky's WiFi dongle cost any money? And does Sky offer a router with a better range than the SAGEM (Cant remember which model, but its not got an antenna)?

Because then we could have the router at the master socket with a better range than the current one along with the WiFi dongle to have the Sky box still connected to the router

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Can I get faster than 8Mbps?

Quote Originally Posted by JS92 View Post
      Well, not only would it mean an alternative for the sky box, but it would also mean that neither me or my brother could get a signal up in our rooms for both our Xbox 360's, his laptop and my PC. We barely get a decent strong signal as it is with the router in its current position, never mind at the master socket as its literally the furthest possible place in the house.
      Because then we could have the router at the master socket with a better range than the current one along with the WiFi dongle to have the Sky box still connected to the router
      In this case, I would suggest using the Sky router at the master socket and piggybacking an old WiFi n router off it. You could connect the two either with a long Ethernet cable or a pair of HomePlugs. This would allow you to place the 2nd router near enough to the TV to not allow the TV to interfere with the WiFi signal, and close enough to feed another Ethernet cable to the Sky STB.

Virtually any WiFi router can be used in this way if you happen to have an old one lying around. See the guide in this thread for details on how to do it:

How to connect two Routers together

So... does Sky's WiFi dongle cost any money? And does Sky offer a router with a better range than the SAGEM (Cant remember which model, but its not got an antenna)?
      Around 60. They have just finished an Internet offer for people who sign up to the Sky Movies packs which could have got it to you for free.

Personally I prefer a wired connection though as the dongle is WiFi g any way.

The Sagem 2304n is Sky's latest router. Currently it s not fully WiFi n rated. There may be an update released next month to increase it to WiFi n, but we do not know how it will perform when it does.

You can distinguish the Sagem 2304n from the older Sagem 2504 but the casing. The Sagem 2504 has a dull grey dimpled case, while the Sagem 2304n has a shiny grey top & black belly.

For the Sagem 2304n, the internal aerial is located such the you are best to place the router on it's side, as shown in the small booklet that comes with it. The word 'Sky' on the from will have the 'S' on top.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12