Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What a pain Sky can be

This is a discussion on What a pain Sky can be within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; What a pain Sky can be..! I advised my son to switch to sky when his current broadband / phone ...

Awest3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01527
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What a pain Sky can be

What a pain Sky can be..!
      I advised my son to switch to sky when his current broadband / phone contract came up for renewal. He already has the full HD/TV package. He duly applied and after a couple of weeks his new router arrived...and the switch was made. The router would only stay up for about 30 mins before failing...not to worry says I as the network system needs to learn about the new line and it should be alright in a couple of weeks. No such luck it was now dropping after about 5 mins. I suggested he have a word with them about the speed on the line, the thought being that it was too high for the cable to handle. Remember that the line was working ok prior to the switch. Sky said that the line was capable of handling 5meg, although the previous supplier said it would only handle 1.5meg, and then said they had had a bad batch of routers and would replace it..hearing no more he rang again 5 days later to be told "oh yes we meant to order you one, it will be another 5 days".

8 days later the router arrived and performed no better than the first one, my conclusion would be that its not the router. At this point Sky said they would get a 2nd line engineer to call..but it would be 72 hours..!!..My son uses his broadband for work items (just emails and documents) as well as home use so you could understand he is now getting a little peeved.

The engineer called and took hime through the usual tests and hooking up to the main BT box all to no avail. The engineer said he would get the line checked...before he was able to do so Sky decided to change the line over (line rental) from his previous supplier to themselves.

Yep you've guessed it, he now does not have a phone line at all and a BT engineer can't call until Tuesday.....with the proviso that if the fault is within the house then it will cost him 99 for the privilege...as it was working before they switched the line you would of thought it was obviously something they had done..!

The thought "just go and check what you have done and undo it" springs to mind

Lifes just not that simple is it...

The difference in call centre people is also amazing, one person can't do enough to help the next acts as if you are interrupting their sleep..!

So he now has no line and of course no broadband..even when he gets the line they still have to sort the broadband....

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: What a pain Sky can be

If he was given the new Sagem 2304n, that was probably the problem, it has been disastrous, with everyone who has received one having problems. The main problem being Sky helps inability to recognoise that the router, its firmware actually, is hopeless, with different agents giving different advice..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

yep thats the one.....thanks for your swift reply...
      Do you know what has to be done ti fix it..?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky are rolling out a firmware fix so keep it connected, if you turn off the wireless and use an ethernet cable for now it should be fine until it is updated.

Failing that, get the username and password out of it and connect using a different router if he has one.

Barny Mike is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01271
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

New firmware on the way, till then turn off the wi-fi and piggy back your old router (instructions on this site)

Mike

Thanks

So the BT engineer turns up and tests everything...no problem at the house or the exchange but the bt guys says that he has to change everything even though there's no fault (patch panel wires etc at the exchange..I assume), he does all this and still no joy so gets on the phone to SKy who don't believe him..hes on the phone for about 40 mins. He tells my son that broadband may now work as the ping he has to do to check the circuit sometimes kicks it into life...lo and behold it does exactly that....only at 2meg and there's a problem trying to check the speed of the line through the normal websites (although if he goes through his works VPN it works ok). Ok so some broadband is better than none.
      He decides to ring sky and ask whats going on...the bod on the other end decides to check that the work order has gone through ok..! you are not going to believe this..the order was rejected for some reason so nothing should be working (another 72 hours to get the order through)...err but I'm on broadband says my son...can't be says Sky....err it seems that the left and right hand at sky are not connected..nor the various departmants..nor their customer helpdesk...it would be funny if it did not show up the total incompetence of Sky's customer services department.. I'll let you know when something happens to the phone line....BTW broadband has not failed in 10 hours..the longest its been up since installation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Awest3 For This Useful Post:

Barny Mike (24-05-11)

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

It's quirte conceivable to have BB and Sky not know you have it. An order might've gone through and then been rejected after the work has been passed to BT OR. Chances are you might be connected at the exchange but have no connection according to the Sky systems. Which would mean free Sky BB!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Broadband ISP: EE Fibre (rubbish!)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q and Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      It's quirte conceivable to have BB and Sky not know you have it. An order might've gone through and then been rejected after the work has been passed to BT OR. Chances are you might be connected at the exchange but have no connection according to the Sky systems. Which would mean free Sky BB!!
      My sister had 9 months of free BT BB, since they didn't realise!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

There was a guy on here that had it for over a year - was only the basic package but as Sky didn't know they had it they could rape it 24/7 and not get caught!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Broadband ISP: EE Fibre (rubbish!)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q and Mini
      Thanks

Ha fantastic. A friend of mine had Sky TV with all the channels for a good few years, until they updated the cards. For some reason his cancellation request had stopped billing, but not the package.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast