Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Are my stats ok, Just moved house.

This is a discussion on Are my stats ok, Just moved house. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I would agree, until you can get a clean connection to the phone line, void of all extensions, you are ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Are my stats ok, Just moved house.

I would agree, until you can get a clean connection to the phone line, void of all extensions, you are going to get nowhere. I am 99% sure that the problem is within the home wiring, so Sky can be of no help. It would be in everyone's interest who uses broadband to get it fixed. It would cost less than 20 as a DIY project.

The only problem with an XTF-85 is that it is not meant to be used on a master socket, so you would loose the protection the master has built in.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

graeme122 (30-06-11)

3. Advertisement
      graeme122 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESALL
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: x2 Sky+HD, Sky+
      Thanks

Hey Isitme I phoned sky and told them my speed was really slow and they said they were going to do something to make it faster but then they said there was an error and the line was refusing to take 1 Mb so they sent out a new router and they said someone from some other department was going to phone back and 1 week later still no phone call. So I phoned them back and told them I received the router but it was still slow they told me someone again would phone from another department and ofcourse they never did. However the exchange is across the road out side my house and there was a BT openreach van at it maybe the the guy was trying to make my broadband faster, My router then wasn't connected to the net for a few days I just kept getting ADSL TRANING or ADSL LINK DOWN. Then finally I got it working today and my broadband is now a little faster. here are new stats

System Up Time: 5:33:26
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 43907 44548 0 188 3224 5:32:24
      LAN 612 0 0 0 0 5:33:26
      WLAN 89126 96796 0 3344 174 5:32:59
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 429 kbps 415 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.0 db 30.1 db
      Noise Margin 3.4 db 8.8 db

Thanks

If the exchange is just across the road from your house, or even if you can see it from your house, something is terribly wrong with your line. Your attenuation indicates that you line length is between 3 and 4 Kilometres from the exchange, you would need binoculars to see it. You are not even getting the speed for the attenuation you have. Your attenuation also seems to be bouncing around a lot, which is another indication of a line fault.

Sky need to get an engineer out to you to get it fixed, but be aware that if the fault is in your internal wiring, you are likely to be charged. It is in your interests to get an NTE5 socket fitted. If you are so close to the exchange you might be able to get one of the BTO engineers to fit one for you for a few quid.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

graeme122 (05-07-11)

Thanks

Ok thanks for that, I just moved the router upstairs to another socket and this is what i get.

System Up Time: 0:18:13
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 18577 45198 0 0 401 0:17:11
      LAN 634 0 0 0 0 0:18:13
      WLAN 36368 20356 0 0 0 0:17:46
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 950 kbps 415 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.5 db 30.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 16.0 db

That looks alot better but I think it should be more, I will be phoning sky.

Thanks

That looks alot better but I think it should be more, I will be phoning sky.
      It should be but it wont be till you improve your wiring. I think you are wasting your time phoning Sky, they will be able to do little for you.

TomD

Useful Utilites

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

graeme122 (05-07-11)

Thanks

Ok thanks isitme if I don't phone sky who do I phone then, im guessing bt and what should I say to them.

Thanks

If your line is on MER then you will have Sky Phone rental, so if you want to have a new NTE5 socket fitted you will have to call Sky Talk and ask them to fit one. They may do it free or they may charge between 150 to 200 to carry out the work.

Getting a new NTE5 master socket fitted is the only way you are going to get the full potential of your line. Until you get this done, Sky will not be able to improve your broadband speed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Ok thanks il do that, if you look at post #24 you can see I have 950 kbps and thats when the router is plugged in upstairs socket. But down stairs where the 1960's master socket is I get 323 kbps what sense does that make shouldn't it be the other way around.

BTW I used the broadband exchange search and the green box across the road must be for something else because according to broadband exchange search the exchange is about 2 miles away. So what is that green box at my house.

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If your line is on MER then you will have Sky Phone rental, so if you want to have a new NTE5 socket fitted you will have to call Sky Talk and ask them to fit one. They may do it free or they may charge between 150 to 200 to carry out the work.

Getting a new NTE5 master socket fitted is the only way you are going to get the full potential of your line. Until you get this done, Sky will not be able to improve your broadband speed.
      As far as I know the work won't be carried out for free, if carried out at all. The only sockets Sky install to my knowledge are the initial master sockets for new line provide. Anything else, the customer is asked to provide themselves.

Thanks

So what is that green box at my house.
      The cabinet is not the exchange. The cabinets can be installed miles from the exchange, which is why many are being upgraded (renewed) by running Fibre back to the exchange. This has the effect of moving the exchange to the cabinet, with a large increase in available speed. The cabinet can be looked on as a local distribution point.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast