Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Loose connection to internet 30-40 times a day, please help

This is a discussion on Loose connection to internet 30-40 times a day, please help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We've had Sky TV for years now but we recently moved our broadband and phone to Sky from TalkTalk in ...

Bondie86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Loose connection to internet 30-40 times a day, please help

We've had Sky TV for years now but we recently moved our broadband and phone to Sky from TalkTalk in mid April but ever since then it has been nothing but problems. The first problem has been sorted now (Vista/wireless compatablility issue) but there is a more severe problem still.

We have several devices in the house, all of which are affected at the same time whether they are connected via ethernet cable or connected wirelessly.

The problem is that after 5mins (sometimes it can go upto 2 hours) the internet just goes off with no warning and whenever you try to connect by by choosing the wireless again or disconnecting the ethernet cable and reinserting it will not connect, it seems the only way to fix the problem (for a short time) is to press the power button on the router and then turn it back on, and then the net will work fine again for 5 mins - 2 hours and then the process has to be repeated.

We are registered with the accessabilty team because my mam is disabled and I have been in regular contact with a man from there called Stevie but he doesn't know what is causing the disconnections although he did give me some information, he said there are a lot of crc errors coming down the line and he said the speed is set at 4mbps and the max the line can take is 5.7mbps but when he put it up there where more of these 'crc errors' coming down the line so it is now back at 4mbps.

The things I've already tried are have one device connected at a time by ethernet cable (the yellow one they provided), tried both micro filters that they sent and our old micro filter which we used with our old router and TalkTalk (no problems then) but yet it still cuts out constantly, whether it is the games console, phone, laptop or pc (when all are on they all loose connection).

It is highly annoying having to reset the router every 5 mins especially when trying to play Fifa online and it throws you out of the game.

But I can't see this one being a compatablity issue because even when the laptop/pc is off it will still disconnect you on the iphone or games console whether I'm using wired or wireless.

When the connection goes all the lights on the router go off except the green power light.

The one thing is would say is on my laptop I occasionally get a message about an ip address conflict (not sure how to fix this). Are there any settings in the router setup page which I can try? I also read somewhere that UPnPshould be turned off but again I'm not sure how to do this.

Many thanks, any help would be great.

2. Advertisement
      Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Re: Loose connection to internet 30-40 times a day, please help

You have probably got the Sagemcom F@ST 2304 router issue. Power light only is a firmware issue.

You need to call Sky and run through the recovery. But here is what they will say....

Connect with the ethernet cable.

Put in the CD. Click start, look for Computer, you will see the Sky cd.

Right click the cd, left click explore.

Double click the Sagem folder. Click set up. Then look for WIN folder. Double click to open. Confirm on the ethernet interface screen you are connected via ethernet, then confirm its Local Area Connection.

You should (hopefully) then get a 3 min countdown screen which will run the recovery.

What you are most likely to get is a "failed to find target" message.

If this happens, open an internet page, type 192.168.1.11 into the address bar.

Should browse to the router recovery page.

If all this fails (and it probably will) call sky, tell them you have power light only and have run the recovery. They will replace the router for this issue, which is now hopefully being sent complete with latest firmware 5.14.6.1.

Good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanity For This Useful Post:

Bondie86 (19-05-11)

Bondie86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks Sanity, they're already sending out a new router, should be here on Friday. Do you think it could be the router at fault then? I'll try all that but I'm currently on my netbook, will use the pc downstairs to do it now. Cheers...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yes, it is a known fault with this router.

aciidsn3ak3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYCSG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Asus RT-AC66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What I dont get is why send out a router they know theres a fault with. I got mine on Wednesday and having similar issues. Not 30-40 times a day but a couple of times and its fairly annoying.
      No interaction with the router sometimes.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aciidsn3ak3r View Post
      What I dont get is why send out a router they know theres a fault with. I got mine on Wednesday and having similar issues...
      Perhaps because the people in the warehouse have no choice in the matter?

Now that the Firmware update is finally being rolled out, thing might actually start to improve.

Disable you WiFi on the Sagem router, if you haven't already done so, and check once a day to see if the firmware has been updated.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms