Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recent drop in upload speed and unstable connection.

This is a discussion on Recent drop in upload speed and unstable connection. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Until recently, maybe the begining of last week my conenction has been 'fairly' stable, it would drop occasionally but not ...

MisterSeagull is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Recent drop in upload speed and unstable connection.

Until recently, maybe the begining of last week my conenction has been 'fairly' stable, it would drop occasionally but not all the time. Recently though the connection has begun to drop regularly, especially if we recive a phone call.

I've noticed at the same time that the upstream connection has dropped from around 900 to 250ish.

For the past two years the ADSL filter has always been plugged directly into the test socket, with no other phone sockets in the house, in the past when the conenction went scatty swapping the filter, rebooting the router or unplugging the phone for a bit has generally stablised the connection.

I've tried different filters and different phones, yet I still have an incredibly noisey line and spotty internet connection. Is there any advice you can give me about possible causes of the problem? I'm waiting for a telephone call to arrange an engineer visit and suspect they'll say 'nothing is wrong' like they did when my previous broadband supplier called them out.

I don't remember the figures from when my upstream was at 900 but here are the current figures.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: Recent drop in upload speed and unstable connection.

When you say that the line is noisy, you can specifically hear noise on the line, right?

Unplug all equipment and plug the handset direct into the test socket. Still hear noise?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      When you say that the line is noisy, you can specifically hear noise on the line, right?

Unplug all equipment and plug the handset direct into the test socket. Still hear noise?
      Yup, reduced levels of it, but its still there and detectable by the person on the other end of the phone too.

Edit to add:

Without any other equipment the noise on the line is a crackling sound, a little like some one stepping on fresh snow over and over again. With equipment (ADSL filter + Router) its a much louder crackling, with occasionally a buzzing sound and a high pitched howling sound.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

As the noise is present without bb equipment plugged in, then it's a voice fault that you'll need to address. If you've already raised this with Sky, then await the call-back and Sky will log the fault to Openreach to resolve it. Once that's sorted, then the bb should follow suit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

MisterSeagull (18-05-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Engineer scheduled to come tomorrow. Hopefully he'll do more than the previous one (Wiggle a few wires, suggest we ask for a more sensative test and scarper).

Edit to add:

Engineer just came, definetly a line problem he's headed off to the street junction box now.
      Last edited by MisterSeagull; 19-05-11 at 10:12 AM.