Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will an I-Plate make any difference?

This is a discussion on Will an I-Plate make any difference? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We have just gone over to Sky Broadband and I was was reading about the I-Plate on the internet and ...

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Will an I-Plate make any difference?

We have just gone over to Sky Broadband and I was was reading about the I-Plate on the internet and just wondered if it would improve our speed.

Our master socket was fitted back in 1987/1988 (it has the 'T' logo in the circle and has a removable face plate).

The first plug (which includes a pass through socket) in the master socket runs to a socket upstairs on which there is a micro-filter and our router.

Back at the master socket, we have a micro filter plugged into the pass through socket and the rest of the household extensions run from this. (We have no extensions wired directly into the master socket)

In other words we have two circuits, one running straight upstairs to the router and the other (telephone-only) circuit being filtered at source.

I have tried the router at the master socket and it does improve the speed by about a 1Mb but it is a totally unsuitable location as it is too far from any computers or devices

Would an I-Plate improve matters considering how old the master socket is?

Also would it be better to filter the ADSL at the master socket then run a 15M ADSL cable from the master socket upstairs to the router?
      Last edited by Izak; 17-05-11 at 12:33 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Will an I-Plate make any difference?

The I-Plate, from what I understand, is designed to cut out radio interference that can be picked up from the Ring-Wire. If this is an issue, and you have telephone which no longer require the ring-wire, then a safer thing would be to disconnect it.

IMHO You would be better off purchasing a filtered faceplate. However this would mean that your ADSL signal would only reach your master socket, not the extension.

If it helps, there are some good alternative ways to get your BB to reach where your PCs are.

Whilst WiFi is not always a good solution for everyone, HomePlugs can offer a very good alternative solution. They use you electrical wiring to provide a Ethernet link between the router and other network devices, just as you would have a long Ethernet cable.

There are a variety of these available now. Some have just a single LAN port, others can have 4 ports. There are also some that have a WiFi g or WiFi n adapter.

With a simple HomePlug, you could connect either a 5-Port Switch or an old Router, to provide additional LAN ports elsewhere in your home.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked at the Home Plug system but I'm not sure how well it would work in our house.

It hasn't been rewired for at least the past 30 years (that's how long my Mum and Dad have lived here) and I think there are different circuits in the wiring too.

I was reading on the internet that someone had filtered their ADSL at the master socket (like you mentioned) then ran a long ADSL cable to their router. They had originally used a standard 1.5m cable and the longer cable hadn't altered the speed.

Also is it easy enough to disconnect the ring wire on the master socket? May try that first. All our phones are modern no older the 5 years old.

Thanks

HomePlugs do depend very much on your wiring. I can't comment on what you have there.

Some people have used a shielded cable to extend their ADSL connection with good results.

Personally I would opt for the long Ethernet cable instead. 20m Ethernet cables can be picked up very cheaply at the moment. Cat6 (which is good for 1Gbit LANs is available for 7.79 on Play.com). Cat5e is available for a lot less and is more than sufficient for the 10/100Mb LAN which is available on Sky's routers.

I mention the Cat6 as it is a very nice price and mean that should you get a 1Gbit LAN in the future, you already have one cable which is suitable.

As for the ring-wire, read this:

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

Remember that the ring-wire should be disconnected at both ends.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Best way to tell if you will benefit from an iPlate is to connect directly to the test socket and observe any improvement to line stats.

If you don't need to have the router connected to an extension socket, a pre-filtered ADSL faceplate is the way to go.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Izak View Post
      Thanks for your reply.

I have looked at the Home Plug system but I'm not sure how well it would work in our house.

It hasn't been rewired for at least the past 30 years (that's how long my Mum and Dad have lived here) and I think there are different circuits in the wiring too.

I was reading on the internet that someone had filtered their ADSL at the master socket (like you mentioned) then ran a long ADSL cable to their router. They had originally used a standard 1.5m cable and the longer cable hadn't altered the speed.

Also is it easy enough to disconnect the ring wire on the master socket? May try that first. All our phones are modern no older the 5 years old.
      As you are using a plug in extension, you'd have to disconnect the ring wire from inside the plug. Usually they are sealed though, so you'd have to break it open and glue it back together again.

Providing the cable will reach, you could cut off the plug, and connect the cable to the IDC connectors in the master socket's front panel - Just the blue+white to '2' and white+blue wire to '5'; and leave the orange wires disconnected. Don't use a screwdriver blade to insert the wires though, as it will bend the IDC connections open making the wires liable to fall out. Any reasonable quality adsl filter will contain it's own ring capacitor, so even if you have a phone that needs the ring signal, it should still ring.

Thanks

Thanks for all your replies.

While it would be great to put the router by the master socket and run and ethernet cable to upstairs, the main problem is plugging the router into a power source by the master socket. There are no nearby power sockets and I had to run an power extension cable to the socket to test the router.

I think my best bet is to try a shielded ADSL cable. I've worked out that a 10m cable will possible run upstairs to the router and according to reviews I've read, they don't reduce the speeds like an extension does. They're only about 5 on Amazon too.

Thanks

No problem.

Please do let us know how you get on though.

Thanks

I have ordered a 10m ADSL cable so hopefully should be with me shortly.

When I connect the cable up, we will only have one microfilter in the whole house and all extensions will be filtered at the master socket.

The only thing I'm concerned about is DLM restarted on the 18/05/11 probably because I'd tested the router downstairs at the master socket for a few hours then moved it back upstairs again.

When I connect the router up with this new cable, will it cause problems or cause the DLM to restart again?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When I connect the cable up, we will only have one microfilter in the whole house and all extensions will be filtered at the master socket.
      So you are also fitting a filtered faceplate? If you don't, you will still need filters on all the sockets in use.

Provided you are getting a good quality twisted pair cable it should be fine. Some of the cables listed as 'high speed' are little more than flat telephone cable with RJ11 plugs on the ends.

Don't worry too much about upsetting DLM, if it does leave you with a lower speed than necessary, it can be manually configured to its best rate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast