Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

DLM Complete - Slower Than Expected

This is a discussion on DLM Complete - Slower Than Expected within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Getting your line uncapped with sky can be a tedious process. It's just a matter of getting through to the ...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: DLM Complete - Slower Than Expected

Getting your line uncapped with sky can be a tedious process. It's just a matter of getting through to the right person.

Don't give up!

2. Advertisement
      Woolfy Smith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Houghton Le Spring
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Ok I'm going to sit down with a cold Stella and ring tomorrow.

Any chance you can give me a quick explanation of what uncapping is and why I should be asking for it?

Just don't want to go ring and sound like a moron

Thanks

Some ISP's put a limit on the speed achievable on your line (cap it). This can be to ensure stability or because you are on a low speed package. There are two common ways of capping your line:

- The first one is to set a fixed speed profile on your line. An example is when DLM commences; your line is capped at a fixed rate of 4 megs.
      - The second way is to your alter your target noise margin. The default noise margin is 7db but if you increase it to say 9 or 11db your line will sync at a lower speed.

Hence by looking at your stats we can tell that your line is capped. Your downstream noise margin as per your latest stats quoted below is 10.3db. We just learned that the default noise margin is 7db. The difference between the two of 3.3db is what we classify as spare noise margin and eliminating this will result in a higher sync speed for you.

Noise Margin
      Down - 10.3 db
      Up - 8.0 db
      The person you speak to needs to lift any speed profiles on your line (ideally set it to 20mb down/1.3mb up) and make sure your target noise margin is set to 7db. With this configuration in place your line will sync at it's best speed.

Hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

Woolfy Smith (21-05-11)

Thanks

Exdee thanks for taking the time to give me that explanation. Gives me the ammo to call back and stick to my guns.

I'll be sure to let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Usually i've found if when using the e-mail you just tell them what you want your speed set to and you dont care about stability they do it. Got mine set to 20/1.3 that way even though the line only supports around 13-14.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I am just gona try your method, simonmpoulton, see what sky reply with via email.

as my last reply from sky said this:

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.
      Your speed is currently at 14939kbps as advised in previous emails we cannot boost your speed any further as this will cause errors and your connection will become intermittent. Instead of using online speed test tp get your speed may I recommend that you get your speed directly from your router status page this is the most accurate speed and it will match the information that we give you as it comes directly from a system in your exchange called isam and it is impossible for this system to give speed other than the correct information.
      Access the router status page
      Open an internet browser and delete the information in the address bar
      type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar
      enter username admin and password sky
      select the maintenance tab and scroll down the screen until you see the downstream connection speed this is your actual speed.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Technical team on 08442 411 411, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

Kind regards
      Killian
      Sky Help Centre
      http://www.sky.com

Thanks

Turns out I'm too impatient to hang on the line and be bounced from agent to agent so, incorporating all the advice I've been given, I've replied with this email:

"Thank you for your reply.

I would like to insist that my line is uncapped and any speed profiles on my line be lifted (ideally set to 20mb down/1.3mb up) and my target noise margin is reduced to 7db rather than the 11.1db currently showing (spare noise margin of 4.1db) to allow me to sync at the best possible speed.

Iím aware that my speed has been capped to ensure stability etc, however the recent previous owner of this house states they comfortably received a faster speed on exactly the same line.

I look forward to your response.
      "

Lets see if I get any joy with that. Keep 'em crossed.

Thanks

In theory emails should be more efficient since the person at the receiving end is under no pressure in terms of time constraints and can refer to his/her colleagues if unsure what the sender wants.

I do hope they get it right this time.

Thanks

Just received this reply:

"Thank you for your recent email regarding your slow broadband connection.
      From running a test on your line I can see that your current download speed is 15.285MB (15285kbps ). I have tried to reconfigure the speed of your line unfortunately I was unable to do so as the speed would not increase. This may be caused due to the equipment being set up incorrectly. From reading your previous I understand that you thought the line was capped however I can confirm that this is not the case. If you could just check the following is correct :-
      - You are connected into the master telephone socket ( usually the first socket you come across upon entering your property).
      - Ensure you have a microfilter connected to every telephone socket in your home.
      - Check that you do not have any extension cables as they will slow down your Internet connection.
      If your setup is as above could you replace the microfilter you have connected into your master socket as there is a possibility that it could be the issue. If you are still having a slow connection after you have the microfilter replaced, could you please carry out the following :-
      - Remove the microfilter from the master telephone socket.
      - Half way down the faceplate of the master socket you will see a horizontal line.
      - On the bottom half of the faceplate you will have two screws one either side of the faceplate.
      - Unscrew the two screws and the bottom half will lift off.
      - Underneath the faceplate you will see another socket
      - Connect the microfilter into that socket and test further for 24 hours.

After the 24 hour period has finished could you email us back letting us know if the connection is still slow or rectified.

Looking forward to hearing from you."

Now, as much as I appreciate the full and detailed response I still get the feeling I'm being given the brush-off. I'm pretty confident that my set-up is correct. Plus, I'm using the master socket with a filtered faceplate so am I right in thinking that using a standard filter and plugging it into the test socket for 24hrs would be a waste of time?

Any advice on how to proceed from here would be great

Thanks

Since they are being so confident that you are uncapped at the ISAM you might want to try a different router (if you have one)

Are your extensions connected to '2 and 5' on the filtered faceplate or 'A and B'?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast