Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is this normal for DLM ???

This is a discussion on Is this normal for DLM ??? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I know what ur saying. I worked on the BT broadband team for few years as a contractor (before most ...

macmilm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAFEL - Felixstowe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Is this normal for DLM ???

I know what ur saying. I worked on the BT broadband team for few years as a contractor (before most of it went to india). and know that i should get a better connection...

Noise is on the line..

My attentions are a bit divided at the mo as my wife gave birth shortly b4 midnight on wed.. so trying to juggle work ( which i need a good broadband 4 ) and hospital e.t.c lol

kind o lucky i am self employed so i can b there everyday.. just wanna descent connection to work from.. i know virgin would be loads faster but i hate their customer service

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
      I know what ur saying. I worked on the BT broadband team for few years as a contractor (before most of it went to india). and know that i should get a better connection...

Noise is on the line..
      In this case you need to get it resolved. i'm sure you've had a fair bit of experience with line problems before.

I didn't ask, so I'd better do this before you call. When you checked for any noise on the line, was this test done from the test socket? Just ruling out internal wiring faults.

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
      My attentions are a bit divided at the mo as my wife gave birth shortly b4 midnight on wed.. so trying to juggle work ( which i need a good broadband 4 ) and hospital e.t.c lol

kind o lucky i am self employed so i can b there everyday.. just wanna descent connection to work from.. i know virgin would be loads faster but i hate their customer service
      Wish her well from us all here and congratulations for you both.

Just a small, but very important point:

Sky BB is a residential product. There is not guarantee of service.

If it goes down, then you will not be able to claim for loss of earning from Sky. I would expect the Virgin is the same.

There are some companies out there who do offer Business packages and these will have performance guarantees.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

macmilm (14-05-11)

macmilm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAFEL - Felixstowe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for that scubbie.

Dont have a test socket. Got one of the old pre NTE5 master sockets so using that. With ring wire removed.

Thanks.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Ok, then as I set it two options are left. Under normal circumstances you need to find out where the fault is coming from (i.e. internal or external) as you are responsible for the wiring from the test socket (or master socket in this case I guess).

If the fault was found to be inside your home, then you could end up with a 100-150 bill. It could even be more, depending on how long it take to diagnose & repair.

The choices then:

* call Sky Talk (I assume they are you service provider now & you pay line rental to them) and prey that the fault is external. If you pay line rental to someone else, then call them

* disconnect any extension wiring after the master socket (yellow line capacitor behind the faceplate, approx. size of AAA battery) and re-test the line

You may wish to consider fitting an NTE5 socket at some stage as well if you are happy with playing with the sockets.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12