Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Phone Line works but am getting no internet

This is a discussion on Phone Line works but am getting no internet within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been paying for sky internet for a while but only just got around to setting it up for the ...

cyy
      cyy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Phone Line works but am getting no internet

I've been paying for sky internet for a while but only just got around to setting it up for the past month. I have been using the phone line sucessfullt for a while.

I've been getting nothing but an orange light on the @ sign.

I have reported this fault and have been told that the problem has been escalated and i would get a call back. I missed their call back and was told to call them back instead which i did but was told rather annoyingly that i could not be fwd'ed to this specific department "they can only call me" - i was susequently told they would call me again - no call now after a few weeks.

This after alreay having called them for a total time of 1hr, and specifically a 20minute call in which i was put on hold and then hung up on.

The telephone line is connected directly into the master socket and i have tried changing the splitters.

Can anyone please help?

Despite it seeming as if sky has never heard this problem before based on their ineptitude i am sure that others have had the same problem, so apologies for opening up a new thread if others have already had one.

2. Advertisement
      GB619 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Christchurch dorset
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Phone Line works but am getting no internet

Quote Originally Posted by cyy View Post
      I've been paying for sky internet for a while but only just got around to setting it up for the past month. I have been using the phone line sucessfullt for a while.

I've been getting nothing but an orange light on the @ sign.

I have reported this fault and have been told that the problem has been escalated and i would get a call back. I missed their call back and was told to call them back instead which i did but was told rather annoyingly that i could not be fwd'ed to this specific department "they can only call me" - i was susequently told they would call me again - no call now after a few weeks.

This after alreay having called them for a total time of 1hr, and specifically a 20minute call in which i was put on hold and then hung up on.

The telephone line is connected directly into the master socket and i have tried changing the splitters.

Can anyone please help?

Despite it seeming as if sky has never heard this problem before based on their ineptitude i am sure that others have had the same problem, so apologies for opening up a new thread if others have already had one.
      I know it seem obvious,but have you put the microfilter in the telephone socket first,then plugged your telephone in the microfilter,and then the internet lead from your router into the microfilter,and using everything sky provided for you.Should look like this image

cyy
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Yep, i do have that set up

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

There is a possibility that because your router was not connected when you had the BB first activated, that it either did not get enabled or DLM reported a problem and it became disabled.

Another option is that the router is not working properly.

Could I suggest that you call Sky and see if they can offer some help?

08442 414141

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

griff92 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: mansfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had a similar problem recently and found it to be caused by my sky+HD box that was connected to the router via a network cable.

If I removed the cable from the sky box it worked fine. Power cycling the box fixed it properly.

But first I'd change microfilters also and leave router on over night.

cyy
      Exchange:
      Thanks

- I have called sky and they have been generally useless.
      - I have checked that the bb is currently enabled.
      - I've tried several different micro filters the 2 sent and one from a friends house that i knew worked.
      - There's currently nothing connected to the microfilter or modem except the modem. I've unplugged the telephone to see if that helps

Still nothing working...

Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi cyy,

Sorry to read that you are having issues with your Broadband. If your set up is correct as you have said and you have carried out trouble shooting with our 1st tier department and issue wasn't resolved then it would be necessary to escalate it to our Customer Solutions Department for further investigation. As you have been advised the department cannot be contacted directly but usually callback within 72 hrs. I am aware that our CST department is experiencing a high volume of cases at the moment but you seem to have waited on a response longer than i would expect. I would suggest you contact us and we can look into this further for you.
      Sky eService Team

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help
      My Sky and Sky iD https://mysky.sky.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cyy View Post
      - I have called sky and they have been generally useless.
      - I have checked that the bb is currently enabled.
      - I've tried several different micro filters the 2 sent and one from a friends house that i knew worked.
      - There's currently nothing connected to the microfilter or modem except the modem. I've unplugged the telephone to see if that helps

Still nothing working...
      Reading through this tells me a couple of things that you may wish to try whilst waiting for a response from Sky.

Firstly could you double check your Sky account and see what it says in relation to your BB connection. For example what speed should you have?

Could you check to see if you have any other telephone sockets around the house please? I wonder if by some quirk one of them has a BB connection. I doubt it, but worth ruling out.

Next could you borrow your friend's router? I appreciate that unless it is a Sky router you won't be able to connect to Sky's servers, but you will be able to see if you can get a BB signal by looking at the router's statistics.

Finally, take your Sky router round to their home. Plug it is and see what happens. Can you get the router statistic on their connection? Again unless they have Sky BB it won't connect, but you can check everything else.

With regards to Sky not calling you back, I would strongly recommend that you call them again. Someone has either tried and not left a message or the call has been missed.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

cyy
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Had a response from Sky on cThursday apparently they've checked the line and its fine. So they are sending me a new modem which should now work. Was meant to be next day but nothing received yet...

Having said this as you suggested I tried out a friends modem that I know works and it didn't work :-(

(There is only the master socket, no other phone sockets).

Is it possible that there is a phone line (i.e. BT) related reason that its not working. I don't want to risk paying the BT call out fee if it ends up being a sky problem.

Thanks

So a friend's Sky router failed to connect to the Sky servers. In this case call Sky once more and let them know this.

Before you call though, you say that you only have a single Master Socket. If it has a split faceplate, and check whether you can get a signal in your test socket.

If this fails, then I would agree that you definitely have a line fault.

Could you also use a corded telephone and dial '1' and listen carefully to see if you can hear any noise on the line? This too will confirm if there is any problem with the line. If there is a noise, then you need to contact whomever you pay the line rental to.

Once you have tried all this, do give Sky a call and let them know that you have proved that the router is not at fault. They should then arrange for a BTO Engineer to check the BB connections.

You are responsible for any internal wiring. Your telephone provider is responsible for the wiring and Sky (in this instance) is responsible for the BB connections.

Often a new router will be dispatched as they can and do go wrong periodically, but sometimes they are not at fault.