Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Recommended Non-Sky Router

This is a discussion on Recommended Non-Sky Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ah yeah, I have moved since then hence the big change in attenuation. When I first moved it was originally ...

Khristian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEDUDL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Recommended Non-Sky Router

Ah yeah, I have moved since then hence the big change in attenuation. When I first moved it was originally 57db, but after having several engineers tinkering with the line it for some reason increased to 60db, and now with the new Billion Router it is 63.5db.

Regarding the errors, the CRC and HEC errors are still relatively low compared to how they used to be, and mostly they appear to be on the upstream so I may look at getting that down to 768kbps.

From what I can gather the max attainable for the downstream is 4604kbps, so I have spoken to Sky regarding removing the cap and re-running the initial DLM period. Unfortunately the person I deal with is not in until tomorrow so I should hopefully know more then, although they are already aware that I am using my own router (and yes they are still happy with that).

I would be surprised if I do get much more than 4096kbps, and even if so it may well be lowered again for stability. Although at the moment it is sitting at a consistent 6db SNR.

As for the socket being used, it is in the main NTE5, however on that BT had fitted a fibre faceplate (apparently better than the NTE2000), although I shall try it in the test socket, and with an NTE2000 tomorrow as check the results.

Personally I don't mind it sitting at around 3072-3584kbps, although if it can be higher (whilst being stable) then who am I to argue. The main advantage of swapping the router was for 'N' Wireless and Gigabit ethernet ports.

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Did you try setting code gain to 7?

Thanks

Have tried the Code Gain at 7 and saw a slight improvement over my original 3072, having it set at Inc1_5 (which I believe is 8.5) see's it hit it's cap of 4032 (Max attain 4668).

One thing I am curious about, when I telnet and do port a1 show I'm seeing the following:

LocalInterleavedChannelFEC = 7867
      LocalInterleavedChannelCRC = 3
      LocalInterleavedChannelHEC = 1

RemoteInterleavedChannelFEC = 0
      RemoteInterleavedChannelCRC = 0
      RemoteInterleavedChannelHEC = 0

Can anyone conform if 'Local' is upstream and 'Remote' is downstream, or vice-versa?

If the above is correct then I do get a lot of upstream errors, which as mentioned before I may need to call Sky and reduce the upstream to 768 (maybe lower), unless there is a way to limit this through the router (Tried playing with the TX Attenuation setting but no effect).

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about the small change in attenuation.

I was reading something where although attenuation is an indication of line length, in reality there is a lot more variables involved and different routers can calculate it in different ways.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

I agree, the attenuation changing from 60 to 63 is nothing to worry about, I've got other routers that show 57, or even 65.

I'm also currently set to G.Dmt rather than 2 or 2+ as it was more stable at one point, although I may look at getting Sky to check that again (although not hoping for any huge differences).

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khristian View Post
      Have tried the Code Gain at 7 and saw a slight improvement over my original 3072, having it set at Inc1_5 (which I believe is 8.5) see's it hit it's cap of 4032 (Max attain 4668).

One thing I am curious about, when I telnet and do port a1 show I'm seeing the following:

LocalInterleavedChannelFEC = 7867
      LocalInterleavedChannelCRC = 3
      LocalInterleavedChannelHEC = 1

RemoteInterleavedChannelFEC = 0
      RemoteInterleavedChannelCRC = 0
      RemoteInterleavedChannelHEC = 0

Can anyone conform if 'Local' is upstream and 'Remote' is downstream, or vice-versa?

If the above is correct then I do get a lot of upstream errors, which as mentioned before I may need to call Sky and reduce the upstream to 768 (maybe lower), unless there is a way to limit this through the router (Tried playing with the TX Attenuation setting but no effect).
      What uptime were the error counts from? Personally, I wouldn't worry about the FECs on the downstream. If those statistics are from only a short uptime, then just keep your eye on the HECs and CRCs and check whether they're building too high over time.

Thanks

That was after about half an hour this afternoon. Although the browser based status page shows the CRC's as upstream and zero for downstream which is why I wanted to confirm the local / remote via Telnet as it's not the first time I've seen routers display transposed results on the browser based status pages.

If they are upstream errors then I am not too concerned, if they are downstream then I may need to reduce the coding gain.

Thanks

I thought you could only choose between 0 - 7 or Auto.

Thanks

Mine has 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,Auto,Inc0_5,Inc1_0,Inc1_5,Inc2_0,I nc2_5

I've also now spoken to "Tier 1" [Shudders] at Sky who after 10 minutes of explaining managed to decrease the upstream to 768 although it has had no effect on errors.

For some reason they also decided that I wanted interleaving turned off and fastpath on, which created even more errors on the upstream, so very quickly had them correct that.

One thing I have noticed is that if I am on the phone and the connection resyncs I can hear slight tones which dosent seem right.

Thanks

I see.

For some reason they also decided that I wanted interleaving turned off and fastpath on
      Lucky you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast