Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittent drop out in evenings

This is a discussion on Intermittent drop out in evenings within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, over the last two evenings, my broadband connection has been unreliable. On Tuesday evening, I was using the connection ...

campdave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morecambe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Intermittent drop out in evenings

Hi,

over the last two evenings, my broadband connection has been unreliable. On Tuesday evening, I was using the connection between about 8pm and 9.30pm, and the connection would stop completely for around 15 secs every couple of minutes. The connection light on the router stayed on.

Yesterday evening, I was using the connection in the early evening (about 6.30 - 7.45pm) and everything seems to work as normal. I turned my laptop on shortly after this and was hit with the connection slow down (I was downloading files from an FTP server, which would stop for around 15 secs before resuming). After about 9.30, it seems to revert to normal.

This is happening on both a laptop connecting wirelessly and a desktop with a wired connection. I rang Sky last night and went through the process of turning off and on again, changing wireless channel on the router etc.

Could it be contention at peak usage times? I've been with Sky broadband for about 3 years now, and never come across this before.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Intermittent drop out in evenings

Your line may be generating a lot of errors which will slow down the connection. How is your noise margin is it dropping during the slow period. Post your stats, there may be a clue there.
      How to get your router statistics

If you are on Sky LLU, it will not be contention, but it is possible your exchange is suffering output problems, ie, the out lines from the exchange are not able to keep up with the input. Since the introduction of Anytime+ this has become a problem on some exchanges. Sky have reported that these problems have been fixed, but that may not be the case.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks.

It's difficult to get the stats exactly when the drop outs occur, as they only stop for may 10-15 secs, but I've been checking it in the early evening when everything is fine, and then in the later evening when the problems seem to be occurring.

Seemed better last night, but noticing some drop outs tonight.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14332 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27 db 15 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 13 db

Thanks

You could try downloading and running Router Stats Lite. This will keep a graph of your margins and other information. Get it from here-
      Internet Software

Are you sure your connection is dropping? 10-15 secs seems a very short time for a line to drop and reconnect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks, I'll give that software a go.

as the light is staying lit on the router when there is no activity, it would seem the connection is not dropping, but just the router is not receiving data from the exchange for whatever reason.

Thanks

You might also want to have a go at optimising your connection, for Vista and Win 7 have a look here -
      SpeedGuide.net :: Windows 7, Vista, 2008 Tweaks

and for XP here
      SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

TomD

Useful Utilites