Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

strange wireless problem

This is a discussion on strange wireless problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm having a strange problem with my Netgear router. it occasionally(couple times a week) drops the wireless off...and even ...

Maddog Mikko is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

strange wireless problem

I'm having a strange problem with my Netgear router. it occasionally(couple times a week) drops the wireless off...and even though the wireless station is shown on my laptop it will not connect to it..... 'waiting for network'.... resetting the router or rebooting the laptop won't fix the problem.
      now here's the funny part. if I disconnect the phone line from the back of the router and reset the router, the wireless starts working again and then I can reconnect the phone line into the router and access internet again.
      I've had this router for approx 2 years now and never had any problems before.
      has anyone come across this before?
      BTW I apologise if there is already a thread for this...I couldn't find one

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: strange wireless problem

It could well be that your router or the PSU is starting to fail.

For the moment could I suggest that you try a few other things to see if it is something more basic?

Install inSSIDer and see which is the best WiFi channel in your area to use. Choose from 1, 6, 11 or 13.

See if you have anything that might be causing interference; Video Senders, new TV (or an old TV failing), Microwave Oven.

Where is the router located? Has it been in a position where it is subjected to heat or is the power supply in a place that can be knocked?

For the present, Sky are having problems with their newest router. This has left their replacement stock levels very short. I would be reluctant to get a replacement just now as you are more likely to have more issues.

As another solution, assuming that this is a WiFi issue, do you have access to an older router with WiFi abilities? If so, you could piggyback this to the Sky router. This thread will help:

How to connect two Routers together

Alternatively, whilst against Sky's T&Cs, you could always purchase a new router that is WiFi n enabled. Extract the password from the Netgear router and use the new one. A cheap WiFi n router can be purchased for as little as 20.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other

Re: strange wireless problem

Also make sure your router and DECT phone are not adjacent to each other.

Cheap ADSL Modem Router and USB Wifi dongle for under a Tenner