Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ridiculous speeds on unlimited!

This is a discussion on Ridiculous speeds on unlimited! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been on sky BB for quite a few years now and never experienced problems before. I moved house ...

sturose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Ridiculous speeds on unlimited!

I have been on sky BB for quite a few years now and never experienced problems before.
      I moved house a few months ago and reconnected with sky as I had always been happy with the service. I am not a million miles from the exchange but further than previously, I was told that I would probably get speeds of around 8 meg which I was OK with. I did get those speeds for a while, then I started getting an intermittent connection.
      I phoned tech support and they ran a few tests, asked me to plug my router directly into the test socket, change micro filters etc which I did. They solved the problem and even managed to increase my speed to around 11 meg which I was even happier with.
      Then the fun really starts.....
      After a couple of weeks my connection started dropping regularly again, each time it reconnected I would be left with a slower speed until I was getting less than half a meg.
      I have phoned them about a dozen times, three times after going through the usual, 'unplug extensions, change microfilter, pug into test socket' etc the problem was escalated to level 2 support and they should have called me within 72 hours.
      1 week later, still no call so I phoned them again. The response was that they were having unusually large numbers of calls and they would take my details straight to level 2 personally and I would get a call back within 24 hours guaranteed!
      3 days later (yesterday) they called me back while I was out so they rearranged to call me today which they have done. After running tests from their end and deciding I need an engineer visit which has been arranged for tomorrow I have now been left with speeds that my old dial up modem may have been proud of but I most certainly am not!

I really hope they can sort it because I am looking into alternatives. I don't want to because I've always been happy with sky but I am paying them 12.50 a month for a service that is barely usable.

Anyway, rant over. I let you know how the engineer visit goes.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Ridiculous speeds on unlimited!

You're capped at baseline after 'level 2' (CST) have went through troubleshooting - it should have been uncapped as it'll now likely make the engineer's job harder. If you've had 8-11mbps previously, then the stats would suggest that you have some kind of line fault. You'll need to see whether the engineer finds the issue and once he does, then Sky will uncap the line.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      You're capped at baseline after 'level 2' (CST) have went through troubleshooting - it should have been uncapped as it'll now likely make the engineer's job harder. If you've had 8-11mbps previously, then the stats would suggest that you have some kind of line fault. You'll need to see whether the engineer finds the issue and once he does, then Sky will uncap the line.
      Lets hope so, I thought I had left dial up behind years ago but this is ridiculous.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are these stats from the test socket using only the ADSL cable and filter supplied by Sky? If they are not, can you please plug in there and post the result?

When the faceplate of the master socket is removed, are all your extensions dead, ie, without dial tone?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

They are all from the test socket with the faceplate removed, no extensions in the house apart from a plug in extension which has been removed until I get this sorted. Cable and filter for this test was the one supplied by sky. I have tried various others and the results are the same.

Thanks

There must be a serious fault on your external line. Let's hope they send a broadband engineer and not one that will just check the phone is working and say everything is OK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I hope so too, I'll come back tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Not gonna bother anymore today cus I'm sick of waiting for pages to load!!

Thanks

Just a suggestion, but while you are saddled with the low speed, why not turn off Images? To do tthis in FF, go to Options> Content tab and untick Automatically load images. The other browsers will have a similar option. It does detract from the browsing experience, but it will speed up your browsing.

TomD

Useful Utilites

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

sturose (03-05-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just done that and it helps a lot.
      I am on unlimited because I am a heavy user and so are my kids, yes it does kinda spoil the internet experience as just about every website you view these days has pictures of some kind on it but it will help me out for the next 24 hours.

Just hope they sort it out tomorrow.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorted now. No problems with line to the house, no problems at exchange.

Openreach engineer said sky had set up wrong. Not sure exactly what but he reckons its sorted now.

Thanks for advice.

Just ran a speed test, previously getting 8-9 meg down but they have set my speed lower for the time being to try and deal with disconnection issues.

Latest test:

Seriously considering FTTC to get better speeds, shame sky haven't jumped on the bandwagon. Engineer reckons I could get between 36 & 38 meg on FTTC where I live.
      Last edited by sturose; 04-05-11 at 01:04 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast