Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Ridiculous speeds on unlimited!

This is a discussion on Ridiculous speeds on unlimited! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I hung up the phone and it disconnected again, reconnecting at 300+ kbps so I rang 1471 again, same thing, ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Ridiculous speeds on unlimited!

I hung up the phone and it disconnected again, reconnecting at 300+ kbps so I rang 1471 again, same thing, reconnected at 6784 kbps (incidentally that is the maximum my line has been set at for the time being). This time I left the phone connected for about 20 minutes. Since hanging up I have had 6784 kbps ever since but I am certain that it will drop again on rebooting which I am about to test.
      This is the symptom of a high resistance fault, probably a loose or 'dry' joint somewhere. Basically the extra power put on the line by the phone call 'bridges the gap' and allows the broadband to 'flow'. It may be OK for a while but will probably come back. The fault needs to be found and fixed for a permanent solution. The main thing is that if you have established that this is happening and if you get a decent engineer out, he/she should be able to locate and fix the fault if given this information.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      sturose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

OK so we're getting somewhere at least. Would you have any idea who might be responsible for this fault, I am with BT for my phone line and obviously sky for BB. Is it the BB equipment or the external phone line?

Once I have established this I can contact the relevant company and tell them what to look for, I have cancelled the BT engineer for now as I wanted to gather as much info as possible to avoid the 'it's your BB providers fault, no it's BT's problem etc' situation. I also didn't want the engineer to come out and find no fault then charge me for the privilege!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Its a tricky one. The fault does not appear to be effecting your voice line, which is all BT are interested in. As you say, if you call them out and they check the voice line and they pass it as OK, you are likely to be charged. As the fault is just effecting your broadband, I think you should stick with getting Sky to call out the engineer. Emphasise to Sky that your voice line is OK and the fault is on the broadband side, so sending a voice engineer is a waste of money.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

sturose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

OK thanks.

I do get some interference on the voice line but it's only the broadband that suffers. BT checked the line from their end and said everything was fine so next time I have problems I'll call sky, tell them BT checked the line and reported no faults and shout a bit louder about leaving them. Maybe I'll get something done then!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234