Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Speed dropped by a third

This is a discussion on Speed dropped by a third within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have been with Sky just under 3 weeks now, Sagecom router problems aside, it's been fine. I'm a distance from ...

Goooner1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Speed dropped by a third

Have been with Sky just under 3 weeks now, Sagecom router problems aside, it's been fine.

I'm a distance from the exchange so knew I wasn't going to get great speeds, but it started out at 1.8mb and went along nicely like that for the first week, then the router problems started and I had to reboot loads of times in the last couple of days of the 10 day training period.

Speed eventually settled on 1.5mb, not as good as 1.8mb, but I can live with it.

Sky have sent me a new router, they said it should have got to me by Saturday, it didn't, but while I was out they phoned to check I'd received it, for some reason the wife told them she thought we'd got it.

Sunday morning, I noticed the speed had slowed, so I checked the stats and sure enough, the router was syncing at 1mb. Phoned Sky, they said they were doing someting to the line and it was to do with DLM, but the line definitely supports 1.8mb and it should be back to that "by the end of the day".

It wasn't! Back on the phone to them yesterday, they said the line had been put back onto testing (I'm assuming they're restarting the training period now they think I've got the new router) and that there was nothing they can do about it now until the 10 days was up.

The router stats have been pretty much the same since I first plugged the router in - downstream attenuation 62.5 and Noise Margin hovering between 7 and 8.5.

Sky confirmed again yesterday that the line supports 1.8-1.9mb and I could realistically expect to get 1.5-1.6mb, which is fine, I can live with that, but I won't be happy if it's down to 1mb, it's one thing for the lucky ones on 3-4mb to lose 0.5mb but for those of us stuck under 2mb it's quite a big drop

It's still on 1mb this morning, two days into training, how soon should I notice any changes, if there are going to be any?
      Last edited by Goooner1; 03-05-11 at 09:17 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Speed dropped by a third

Leaving your router connected and powered up constantly is the best thing you can do at present.

Your speed should settle down nicely.

It might be a case that you will benefit from an ADSL connection, rather than ADSL2+. This can only be changed once DLM has completed though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Goooner1 (03-05-11)

Thanks

The big question is, do I swap the current router for the new one when it arrives (hopefully today) or stick with the original one, that up until this morning (see the other thread) has been pretty stable for 8 days?

Probably better to leave the current one in place, at least until the training period is over and avoid doing any unneccessary wireless stuff with it, unless it starts crashing regularly then in between reboots, swap over and hope the new one is better, unless of course Sky send me a different model

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Might wanna post stats as well, just to make sure there's nothing else going on
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

As of 7:00 this morning.

Downstream - 1020kbps, Line attenuation 62.5db, Noise Margin 7.3db

Upstream - 605kbps, Line attenuation 35.1db, Noise Margin 16.5db

Is that all I need, or is there anything else?

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

According to some recent posts, Sky appear to have stopped sending out the 2304n and are sending DLinks or Sagem 2504s. If you get one of these, plug it in right away. Remember to change the PSU.

You will probably do better on G.DMT, but wait till the router is sorted out before asking Sky to try it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Goooner1 (03-05-11)

Thanks

If it's not another 2304 I'll swap it straight away then. If it is, I may as well leave it as it is and only swap it if it goes down again.

Sky said they can't do anything until the training is complete anyway. So hopefully it'll sort itself out.

It was running great when it (wireless problems aside) a nice stable and steady 1.5mb 1.8 would have been better! I'm not going to get greedy though, after 3 months of Talk Talk 430kbps after several years of pretty much faultless connection at 1.5mb.

Which dropped suddenly overnight to 830kbps and then further still to 430. Anyone that complains about Sky tech support doesn't know they're born, you should try dealing with Talk Talk, I could right pages and pages of my experiences with them over the last 3 months.

Sky are wonderful in comparison, now whether that says more about TT or Sky, I'll reserve judgment until I see how they handle this

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goooner1 View Post
      ...Anyone that complains about Sky tech support doesn't know they're born, you should try dealing with Talk Talk, I could right pages and pages of my experiences with them over the last 3 months.

Sky are wonderful in comparison, now whether that says more about TT or Sky, I'll reserve judgment until I see how they handle this
      It's a good job that you haven't been and signed up for Sky BB Connect then.

Rather than go into the detail here, take a look at this thread:

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Got my replacent router today, unfortunately it's another 2304. Unless it goes down again and needs rebooting, there doesn't seem to be much point in changing it and possibly interrupting the training period.

Incidentally, no changes on the stats front since this morning. Still 62.5 attenuation and noise margin around 7.0. Is there anywhere I can check the errors (if any) or is that just something Sky see from their end?

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It may be worth changing it, it may have updated firmware. I can't see Sky continuing to send them out if they haven't been fixed. But you never know, stranger things have happened with Sky

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast