Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed vs Line Stats

This is a discussion on Speed vs Line Stats within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, Not sure if anyone might be able to help here. I've got an attenuation of 45dB so was ...

Elmlea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NSELG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Speed vs Line Stats

Hello all,

Not sure if anyone might be able to help here. I've got an attenuation of 45dB so was hoping for around 8Mbit/s when I was connected, but it stabilised at 5017kbit/s which I figured I could live with. The noise margin, when I checked today though, has dropped to 1.3dB which seems bizarrely low, even though the connection was perfectly stable.

One quick reboot later and I'm still at 45dB attenuation, but noise margin's back to a more sensible 7.1dB. However, my sync speed's fallen to 4786kbit/s, despite having no extensions and being plugged into the master socket.

Does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to pull my speed up a little more?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Speed vs Line Stats

It is possble you have a fault on your line. Do you have the filter plugged into the Master socket first, with the router and any splitters plugged into it. Post your stats so we can see if anything obvious is wrong. If you have an NTE5, it may be better plugging into the Test socket, just in case the faceplate is faulty.
      How to get your router statistics

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Oh yes; been chasing ways to perfect my broadband connection since I was one of the long-suffering Virgin broadband subscribers in 05/06 when their contention issues ruined their entire network!

Filter in the test socket with the faceplate dangling off because it's hidden from view, then the only splitter after that runs a cable to the Sky HD box. In the test socket as I said, but there's still a filter in the other socket upstairs just in case, and I've disconnected the ring wire and other little tricks like that.

The router's plugged into another Belkin N router as per the guide posted here about connecting 2 routers together.

Line stats:

Downstream: Connection speed 4854kbps, Attenuation 45.5dB, Noise Margin 7.2dB
      Upstream: Connection speed 796kbps, Attenuation 27.5dB, Noise Margin 14.4dB.

Approximately 0.92 miles straight line to the exchange.

Thanks

Could you try unplugging everything except the router, give it a few minutes to settle and take your stats again? Very often the the Sky filters are dodgy and do not properly filter the 'noise' from a Sky digibox.

Are your extensions dead, ie, no dial tone, when the faceplate is removed from the master socket?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Those stats were taken with everything unplugged. Now, a day later, I'm roughly the same; noise margin has fallen to 5.4dB downstream but everything else is the same.

Thanks

It is possible you have a fault on your line, or it may just be of a generally poor condition. Do you have any noise on your voice line? Plug in a corded phone on its own, into the test socket and dial 1 digit. Your line should be quiet with only a very faint hiss at most. Without noise on the line you are unlikely to get anything done. If you do have noise, report it to your phone rental provider as noise on the line. Do not mention broadband or you will be given the run-around.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Another plea for help. Some people have suggested speaking to Sky to be set on a "gaming profile," which apparently might help things.

I've just run a fairly comprehensive line checker, which gives me the following output:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEther's Stats Checker
      BlueEther's stats checker at BlueEther's ADSL / ADSL2+ Stats Checker thinks my line is made of bog standard phone wiring.

BlueEther's ADSL / ADSL2+ Stats Checker
      Quote Originally Posted by The Summary
      Please submit your stats with at least 6 hours uptime for the best results.
      If your line is too unstable to gain 6 hours then here is an interpretation of the submitted stats:
      Down sync is low (56% of the theoretical maximum).
      You are on ADSL2+
      SN margins vary by too much.
      Attenuation looks normal.
      Code:
      Uptime:			0h 00m 00s 
      Modulation:		ADSL2+ -  on Annex A
      				(Up Stream)	/	(Down Stream)
      Sync:				796	/	4660
      Data Transferred:		/	
      Attenuation:			27.3	/	45.5
      SN Margin:				14	/	6.3
      Power:					0	/	0
      Vendor:				Generic	/	
      Modem:			Generic
      LoF:					0	/	0
      LoS:					0	/	0
      Error Sec.:				0	/	0
      FEC:					0	/	0
      CRC:					0	/	0
      HEC:					0	/	0
      You are synced at 4,660 kbps. This sync will have a max throughput of about 0.47 MiB/s or 3,868 kbps.

Your expected max sync depends on many things, mostly the quality of the line and the target Signal to Noise margin at the time of sync.
      Expected max syncs are:
      3db Fastpath: 11,182
      6db Fastpath or 3db Interleaved: 10,105
      6db Interleaved: 8,257

You appear to be on the standard Signal to Noise margin and with set.
      Your sync is 56% of the estimated maximum for a line with and standard SNR at your line length (3,295 meters).
      As your sync is not above 81% of the estimated maximum you might wish to investigate a potential problem.
      You appear to have a noise issue on the line as the upstream and downstream SN margins vary by too much:
      1) that has caused the DSLAM to sync you at a higher SNR on the upstream.
      2) there was noise on the downstream frequencies when you synced that has now lessened. This noise is likely to return.
      3) there is noise on the upstream frequencies now that was not there when you synced.
      4) there could be faulty equipment on the line.
      Obviously something's gone awry; it reckons I should get almost double the sync speed I'm getting, and the fact the SNRs vary so much show there could have been some problems with the line before?

Can I get Sky to try DLM again from scratch, or uncap the line, or try something else? Would turning off interleaving achieve much?