Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help setting up netgear homeplug powerlines with the sky router?

This is a discussion on Help setting up netgear homeplug powerlines with the sky router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As the title says, can anybody give me a step by step? I seem to be able to set them ...

ti_pin_man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help setting up netgear homeplug powerlines with the sky router?

As the title says, can anybody give me a step by step?

I seem to be able to set them up as a separate named network without any security so must be missing something? Do I need to sync them with the router whilst wpa is disabled?? And then switch wpa back on when i'm done?

Or am I being thick? The netgear cd doesn't seem to find the homeplugs in the manual set up ...

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Help setting up netgear homeplug powerlines with the sky router?

What is the model of your plugs? Most are simply plug and play, some have a security button which must be pressed on both devices to set up a secure net work. This only works between the devices and has nothing to do with the router. If these are ethernet, they do not use WPA security, this is only used with a wireless connection.

Plug one into a socket convenient to the router, plug the other into a socket close to where you want access, connect an ethernet cable from the first one to the router and from the second one to your PC. Press the buttons to enable security, if you have them, and that's it. These are always best plugged directly into a wall socket. Do not use a surge suppressor.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

They are netgear powerline ones and I am trying to extend my wireless network... In doing as you described and then putting one into the dead spot they advertise themselves as network name netgear... And there's no security lock icon so I am worried that this makes them an open door to my network??

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Broadband ISP: EE Fibre (rubbish!)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q and Mini
      Thanks

All HomePlug style devices are limited range, to that of your fusebox/distribution board. You can have a pair of them, one plugged into your house, and one in a neighbours house and they won't work.

The security is limited to that of your house.

Some models you can change the encryption key of the plugs ... but there is little point. They are just as secure as wired networking.

Simply plug one in near the router, and connect an ethernet cable from the plug to the router's ethernet port.

Then plug another into a wall socket near a device you wish to use ... XBox or PS3 for example and then run an ethernet cable from the homeplug to the device.

They should sync up and start working.

These devices are best when used directly in the mains outlet. But I have had some success on trailing extension cables ... but not on surge suppression ones.

Powerline/Homeplug devices are akin to that of a wired network ... they have nothing to do with a wifi network.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry but your wrong these extend the wireless network like repeaters. Icoukd plug directly into them with an Ethernet cable indeed as each plug has the socket but these push the wifi out to where they are plugged in and advertise themselves as wireless spots. The question is how do I make sure they are secure? Using the wifi on my iPhone I can connect to these wirelessly without a challenge for my network password.. Just seems open for anybody to use. Hence trying to find out if they I have dine something wrong in the set up. H-elp! Lol.

gergy008 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Okay I see your point, In the manual, You want to look for the gateway IP, Or the setup page, It's something along the lines of 192.168.0.1, You want to connect the to wireless on the extender and enter this in the address bar. Once that is done, you should get a setup page. From here you can access the security or setup tab of some sort, Wireless security. I would just probe around for it on this site somewhere.

There are some settings I would change;
      I would probably make the password and the SSID (The wireless name) the same as your main router, I don't know exactly how these wireless range extenders work so for you just change the password, Keep it a WPA or WPA2 password because WEP is easily hacked. It should be one of the above described tabs.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have a look at this thread on the AVforum, it appears setting up the wireless extender type is not a simple as the ethernet ones.
      Setting up a Netgear Homeplug wireless access point (WGX102) - AVForums.com

Network magic can be obtained from
      Cisco - Network Magic Downloads

It is a 7 day trial but that should be enough to get you sorted out

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Pengwern is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNOSW
      Broadband ISP: EE Fibre (rubbish!)
      Sky TV: Sky Q and Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ti_pin_man View Post
      Sorry but your wrong these extend the wireless network like repeaters. Icoukd plug directly into them with an Ethernet cable indeed as each plug has the socket but these push the wifi out to where they are plugged in and advertise themselves as wireless spots. The question is how do I make sure they are secure? Using the wifi on my iPhone I can connect to these wirelessly without a challenge for my network password.. Just seems open for anybody to use. Hence trying to find out if they I have dine something wrong in the set up. H-elp! Lol.
      Apologies ... just looked at the latest netgear powerline range .. I wasn't aware they had such capabilities.

In which case ... YES, they need securing.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If all else fails read the instructions.

I have some Homeplugs and one acts as a WiFi Access Point. To set the Wifi up it is necessary to :

1. Connect the WiFi extender to the a computer with a LAN cable without any other homeplug been active
      2. In Internet Explorer enter 192.168.1.2 - this accesses the set up page for the homeplug
      3. Enter the SSID and Encryption Password making sure DHCP is turned OFF
      4. Disconnect the LAN cable and reconnect other Homeplug adaptors
      5. Make sure the Network reverts to 192.168.0.xxx

All should then be OK.

I'm sure yours will need something similar but read the manual!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Those links really helped and the free cisco software detected the ips of the plugs, allowed me to log in and set up the security, I was very disappointed with netgear, instructions were rubbish and their support line in India was equally crap. Companies just don't learn do they... Anyway , all sorted cos of the brains on here, cheers chaps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast