Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I get the speed I paid for?

This is a discussion on How do I get the speed I paid for? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have been a sky customer for about a month now and reading information online it appears I am ...

lilsammy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NSPET
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question How do I get the speed I paid for?

Hi I have been a sky customer for about a month now and reading information online it appears I am not getting to speed I should be.

I am not sure if its my router or what because another thing that keep happening is whenever I download over 1Mb/s it crashes the router.

System Details
      Manufacturer Sagemcom
      Model Number F@ST2304
      Firmware Version 5.14.6a4N
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030n.d23b

The connection stats on the router are as follows.

Connection Speed 13307 kbps 712 kbps
      Line Attenuation 14.0 dB 8.6 dB
      Noise Margin 11.2 dB 7.1 dB

I mean its not a terrible speed or anything but I think it should be faster I am 350 meters from the exchange and the line attenuation is not bad is it? I was going to buy a new router but then noticed that it breaches skys tos which is so annoying

EDIT: I probably should say that I moved into a flat and had a new phone line put into the flat so I don't think it should be the master socket unless the engineer who fitted did it wrong.
      Last edited by lilsammy; 27-04-11 at 10:37 AM. Reason: more info

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: How do I get the speed I paid for?

Firstly, you're paying for UP TO 20Mbps - so you're getting the speed you're paying for

Secondly, try your test socket. In theory, yes you should be getting more but some lines just don't behave in the manner expected. Also, the fact you say you're in a flat might be the cause of the issue as phone lines in flats don't normally go direct to the property. As it stands you should get another meg or so with those stats but you should be pushing 18Mbps+ on a good line
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Yeah well its like a house that split into 2 we have the upstairs and the phone pole is right outside the line comes to the house strait from the pole.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

OK, try your test socket and repost stats
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Could you confirm a few things for those who can assist on this site first please:

* that your router is plugged into a micro-filter, which is in-turn the first item plugged into the master socket? (this includes the Sky STB)

* that you are using the short grey lead supplied with the Sky router

* are you using the supplied micro-filters or some others or a filtered faceplate?

* what telephone extensions you have and how they are connected to your telephone line?

* whether each extension has it's own micro-filter

You line attenuation suggests that you should be able to get pretty close to the 20Mb limit, but there could be other factors. As IWNTE has stated, flats do have a history of problems, particularly when the line goes through the building's central telephone wiring.

Also the service is specifically advertised as an up to 20Mb connection. The average speed for Sky (published recently by an independent source) is around 7-8Mb, you are already over this figure. Many members get under 4Mb.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Yeah I had a look just now it was a bit of a mess actually so I took everything out the main socket plugged just the filter in there and the router and got.

Connection Speed 13309 kbps 1114 kbps
      Line Attenuation 14.0 dB 8.5 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 8.7 dB

So that a littler better, I will look at the test socket tonight got to head to uni in a minute. Thanks for the advice

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You may also be getting mixed up wit the terms. You connection speed is measured in kilobits or megabits and your actual throughput in Kilobytes or Megabytes. Your speed of 13300kbits/s should give you a download rate of approx 1.2MBytes/s.

There is a good chance that most of your problems are down to your router, which has not proved itself very dependable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Those stats confirm in my limited experience that you have an issue with your internal wiring.

You now need to identify the cause by a process of illumination.

Post your stats from the test socket first, so that IWNTE or another experienced member can assist.

I would also strongly suggest that you consider purchasing and installing a filtered faceplate as this may help you further.

Once you have resolved the issue, you will be able to give Sky a friendly call. Let them know that you are aware that your line has been capped and that you have made significant improvements to your wiring. They should be able to re-profile you connection.

Not everyone at the tier 1 level has the necessary tools & skill to do this, so you may be passed to someone else who can.

At this stage though, there is still a problem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You may also be getting mixed up wit the terms. You connection speed is measured in kilobits or megabits and your actual throughput in Kilobytes or Megabytes. Your speed of 13300kbits/s should give you a download rate of approx 1.2MBytes/s.

There is a good chance that most of your problems are down to your router, which has not proved itself very dependable.
      Yeah I have had speeds of 1.2MBytes per second before and I am well aware of the different between bits and bytes 8 bits in a byte as I am sure you are aware.

But yes the router is annoying me any speed I download at over 1MB/s for about 2 minutes its OK then the router will crash so even if I do fix the issue with the line its going to be a little pointless if the router continuously crashes at speeds.

Oh and yes I had a filtered faceplate but BT changed it when they installed a new line into the house the old line was ripped out and replaced.

The now messy wiring seems to be done by the people taking an extension from the main socket to the box and router which sits on a shelf together they were not too tidy with it when installing sky for me.

Anyway off to uni! thanks for all the advice will have a go tonight at the test socket and post results

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The now messy wiring seems to be done by the people taking an extension from the main socket to the box and router
      Running the router through a trailing telephone extension is not a good idea. Plug it directly into the master socket is you possibly can. Your downstream noise margin looks a bit low.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast