Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the reason for a router's speed to not reach the computer?

This is a discussion on What is the reason for a router's speed to not reach the computer? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After several phone calls with sky my router is set to 3200 downstream but I am only getting 1.30Mb/s on ...

skyuser2011 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eltham
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What is the reason for a router's speed to not reach the computer?

After several phone calls with sky my router is set to 3200 downstream but I am only getting 1.30Mb/s on speedtest.net. Why might my actual speed differ from the router intake?

I have just gone to check my speed and it has plummeted from 3200 to 1792 what the internet is going on?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: What is the reason for a router's speed to not reach the computer?

If you are syncing at 3200 kilo bits per second, less overheads, this should give you a download speed of around 354 kilobytes per second or 0.345MB/s.

Post the stats from your router
      How to get your router statistics

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

As said my speed has now plummeted so I am getting a much lower speed than I was a few minute ago and I have no idea why because as far as I know DLM has been suspended on my line. The speed just dropped less than 5 minutes after finishing on the phone with sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your stats show your router was rebooted about 8 minutes before the stats were taken. Did you do this? Try rebooting it again, by switching off the power for a minute then back on again. If your line has been set to 3200, it should resync at that speed.

You should call Sky again and ask them to move your line to G,DMT(ADSL1) as it does not appear to be supporting ADSL2+ very well.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your stats show your router was rebooted about 8 minutes before the stats were taken. Did you do this? Try rebooting it again, by switching off the power for a minute then back on again. If your line has been set to 3200, it should resync at that speed.

You should call Sky again and ask them to move your line to G,DMT(ADSL1) as it does not appear to be supporting ADSL2+ very well.
      I did reboot the router yes but only after the speed dropped and that did not help. I called sky again and told them the problem and what had been done previously and after a few minutes the guy on the phone said he had spoken with his manager and that my line speed should start to increase in the next few days so I asked was he referring to the DLM as I had been told it had been suspended he said it had been so he said he would call back on Friday to check if it had improved.

I do have one question while all this has been going on with Sky I have contacted another ISP (as things don't seem to be getting anywhere) and have placed a order which was on the Saturday before last. My grace period with Sky ends on the 28th of this month and the other ISP can't install until the 9th of May (due to the easter weekend and the other stupid carry on this Friday) so does anyone know what this would mean in terms of my situation with Sky in terms of not having to pay to get out of contract Sky have already acknowledged receipt of my request to leave so would that mean I will not have to pay to get out of contract even though my activation date is after the grace period as Sky have acknowledged it before the grace period has ended.

I am still trying to get things sorted out with Sky because if they can fix my issue I plan on cancelling my order I just don't want to be stuck in a contract when my line is not getting the sped I know it is capable of.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The issue that you are experiencing appears on first sight to be a wiring issue.

This can be caused by a few different things, some of which are under your control. To help eliminate them, could we ask that you perform the following:

* plug your router into a micro-filter plugged into the test socket and retake the stats

* whilst using the test socket, can you confirm that any extension sockets are dead

* can you plug a corded telephone into the test socket, dial '1' and listen carefully to see if there is any noise

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The issue that you are experiencing appears on first sight to be a wiring issue.

This can be caused by a few different things, some of which are under your control. To help eliminate them, could we ask that you perform the following:

* plug your router into a micro-filter plugged into the test socket and retake the stats

* whilst using the test socket, can you confirm that any extension sockets are dead

* can you plug a corded telephone into the test socket, dial '1' and listen carefully to see if there is any noise
      The problem is my sockets are 2002 installations and to my knowledge that means I don't have a test socket on my master socket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyuser2011 View Post
      The problem is my sockets are 2002 installations and to my knowledge that means I don't have a test socket on my master socket.
      Hmmm... Interesting...

Split NTE5 sockets were brought out years before 2002. Are you in a flat perhaps, where it seems to be common practise not to use these sockets?

British telephone sockets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Hmmm... Interesting...

Split NTE5 sockets were brought out years before 2002. Are you in a flat perhaps, where it seems to be common practise not to use these sockets?

British telephone sockets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      I am in a house which originally was a bungalow but was converted in 1998 we originally had problems prior to 2001 and could not get internet after 18 months BT finally moved our junction box which we had in the loft to the outside wall and while doing this they changed all the phone sockets to ones with a faceplate with no line going through the middle.

This is the faceplate of my master socket.
      Last edited by skyuser2011; 26-04-11 at 07:47 AM.

Thanks

I am thinking then that perhaps this might be an instance where disconnecting the Bell-Wire might be beneficial.

Read this article first:

BT claims UK broadband boost breakthrough ? The Register

If you have fairly modern phone that do not require the Bell-Wire, then it may pay you to disconnect this from each socket.

It is wire #3. Just pull it out if you want to do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast