Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using Sky Router as 'Modem Only'

This is a discussion on Using Sky Router as 'Modem Only' within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We are switching to Sky Broadband early next month (from TalkTalk) and currently have a perfectly working home network with ...

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Using Sky Router as 'Modem Only'

We are switching to Sky Broadband early next month (from TalkTalk) and currently have a perfectly working home network with a Netgear DG834G router with all the necessary configurations setup so I don't really want to have to transfer all these settings to another router that Sky make you use (especially as I've heard that one or two of the Sky routers aren't that good anyway!)

What I was wondering is, is it possible to connect the new Sky router to the phone line, turn off WiFi, DCHP and Firewall and have it just send the internet data through to an ethernet port on my current Netgear router? Then my Netgear router can act as a server for all my devices like it does now.

This would save me so much time reconfiguring all the wireless, fixed IP addresses and Firewall rules in my current router.

I know I could technically transfer the Sky username and password to my current router but as my brother works for Sky (and it is all going to be in his name), I don't want him to get into trouble should they find out we're not using their router.

Also is it true we will lose internet connection for two weeks between Sky cutting us off TalkTalk and activating their own broadband on our line?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Using Sky Router as 'Modem Only'

If the Sky router is the DHCP Server, then all the settings will need to be copied across to it.

I've been spending most of the afternoon & evening playing with the new Sagemcom F@ST 2304n router and I'm not liking it at the moment. I'll have another crack at it tomorrow, unless a friend pops round for a chat.

I've posted a guide to piggybacking two routers in the 'Asking for help' section:

How to connect two Routers together

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If the Sky router is the DHCP Server, then all the settings will need to be copied across to it.

I've been spending most of the afternoon & evening playing with the new Sagemcom F@ST 2304n router and I'm not liking it at the moment. I'll have another crack at it tomorrow, unless a friend pops round for a chat.

I've posted a guide to piggybacking two routers in the 'Asking for help' section:

How to connect two Routers together
      Thanks for your reply.

My idea was to have the Sky router just acting like a gateway and my current Netgear router as a DHCP Server

Also just to add, the Netgear DG934G features 'Auto Uplink' on its Ethernet ports if that makes a difference.
      Last edited by Izak; 21-04-11 at 12:13 AM.

KevinB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm not sure you'll be able to get away with not transferring your firewall rules from the Netgear to the Sky router.

Firewall rules on home routers generally only work on the transition from WAN to LAN and vice versa; they don't work from LAN port to LAN port. If you connect an ethernet cable from the Sky router to a port on the Netgear router then your LAN and the Sky router are effectively on the same side of the firewall so the traffic won't traverse it, and so won't have the firewall rules applied to it. The blue line on the attached gif image shows the path the data takes.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by KevinB; 21-04-11 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Add image

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

It can be done fine, not got the guide to hand but someone will post it soon. A lot of people do this as a way to stay within the T&Cs of Sky yet gain the benefit of using a better router
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Would this not work if the 2nd router was a Cable Router and the OP uses the WAN connection?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Would this not work if the 2nd router was a Cable Router and the OP uses the WAN connection?
      Yeah, if it had been a cable router, that would work. A very small number of ADSL routers can have one of their LAN ports reconfigured as a wan port, the netgear dg834g is not among them though, so as Kevin says, the firewall rules would have to be transferred over.

I would try out the sky router, and if it didn't perform better than the old one, extract the password, and stick with the old, although of course that is against the T&Cs.

KevinB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I'm not sure about cable routers I'm afraid, corporate networks and home ADSL are my bags . If the WAN connection on a cable router is ethernet with an RJ-45, and is configurable enough then I guess it might.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The only way to disable the firewall is to put the other router into the DMZ of the Sky router. This is the nearest you will get to 'modem only' mode in the Sky routers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.