Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intermittent Disconnections

This is a discussion on Intermittent Disconnections within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys. So I made a thread earlier about my Master Socket and trying to locate it. I can confirm ...

DeanIss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: issdea@gmail.com
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Intermittent Disconnections

Hey guys. So I made a thread earlier about my Master Socket and trying to locate it. I can confirm my broadband is currently plugged in. However, it has an old faceplate and so has no Test Socket.

My problem started a week+ ago. My internet suddenly started disconnecting every hour. Then it started disconnecting every 20 mins. After numerous calls to sky tech help and doing the standard 'Change microfilter, Check its the master socket, Restart Router etc.' checks they passed me onto the next tech team. It was suggested that my broadband speed should be lowered/capped due to the fact the wiring in my house couldn't support the speeds I was getting (around 17mb). Its now capped at around 15mb.

Now ever since I have been capped (24 hours ago roughly), the disconnections issues have definitely improved. Its now usually every 1-3 hours or so. But still, I need to get this fixed as interrupted downloads etc. is annoying.

I am thinking the next step is to probably ask them to cap my internet again to even lower speeds. Maybe 12mb just to be safe. I honestly would be more than happy with a stable 12mb connection (better than 16mb unstable).

Anyway these are my current stats:
      ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
      The noise margin/speed is usually around that. Sometimes my noise margin will rise to 15db for a few hours.

I had Router Stats - Lite run for a few hours last night but it showed nothing major. It just showed My speed changing by 1mb or so every now and then. However, I did notice that my noise margin fluctuated loads sometimes (between 4db - 16db)

Im using the D-Link Sky Router and my PC is connected via Ethernet Cable (however there is a wireless laptop often used).

If you need any more details please ask, any help would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Intermittent Disconnections

I am wondering if it is worth investigating to get things rewired?

Obviously something somewhere is causing you a problem, hence all the disconnections.

The main issue for me is in identifying the router cause of the problem and then who has responsibility, since you are in a flat.

Under normal conditions, your telephone line provider is responsible for the wiring from the telephone exchange to the master socket. (specifically defined as the test socket where available). You would then be liable from that point.

Reading you other thread earlier, you did manage to identify the master socket. Can you carefully disable the extension and see whether you are still getting disconnections or do you want to leave this for someone else?

There are other issues relating specifically to flats. I'll let others enlighten you on those.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hmm I guess I could try to disable the extension....but I really have no idea how to do that. Is it risky/hard?

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeanIss View Post
      Hmm I guess I could try to disable the extension....but I really have no idea how to do that. Is it risky/hard?
      In this case, you'd be better off giving Sky a call and see if they can arrange for a BTO engineer to repair your line IMHO.

Disconnecting the correct socket isn't difficult, just a case of pulling the right wires out (the ones leading to the socket), but NOT the wires coming in from the outside line.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

DeanIss (20-04-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your best bet would be to replace the double master socket you have with an NTE5 socket with a filtered faceplate. It is not particularly difficult to do. If you can hold a screwdriver the right way round and change a power plug you will be able to do it. You can get all the parts you need at RunITDirect, Dave who is a member here will keep you right. You can fit either one of these - BT Socket, Master, ADSL Filtered With RJ45/RJ11 Or preferably one of these NTE5 BT Openreach Type Socket (NTE5A with bellwire filter) with a filtered faceplate XTE-2005 Clone NTE5 ADSL Faceplate

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

So would installing a NTE5 master socket help fix the problem, or just help find out what it is?

Might just change to O2 broadband...my brother upstairs (same block of apartments) has perfectly stable internet. This is becoming a bit of joke...

Edit:
      Also, Isitme, what exactly is a power plug? Im guessing your not referring a power plug that's used to switch on the sky router and such

Thanks

It may fix it, but it will definitely let you find out where the problem is. If the problem is in your line, it would not matter who you went to, apart from cable, the problem would still be there.

By a power plug I mean the thing with 3 prongs you plug into the wall to take power to any electrical appliance

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

DeanIss (20-04-11)

Thanks

Oh haha could you give me a tutorial on how to do that

Well I'll try ordering/buying a NTE5 faceplate. The most I've done with this stuff is unscrewed a faceplate, so hopefully it should be easy. Could anyone link me to a simple/up-to-date tutorial. Is it really easy to do (and Ive heard its illegal?)?

Thanks

Is it really easy to do (and Ive heard its illegal?)?
      Yes it is easy, just buy a disposable krone tool to allow you to fit the wires into the IDC terminals. IDC Tool , Simple tool to allow termination to IDC blocks

It is not illegal to replace the master socket. As long as it is done properly, Sky or BT will not care.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Does anyone have a guide/tutorial of how to replace a NTE5 faceplate with an old one?

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast