Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Intermittent Disconnections

This is a discussion on Intermittent Disconnections within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you scroll down this page you will find the instructions you need. Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Intermittent Disconnections

If you scroll down this page you will find the instructions you need.
      Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring The only difference is that you would be connecting the incoming line to the A and B terminals.

Time and again you will read on the net that it is illegal to fit your own NTE5. It is not. To be illegal it has to be against a Law, it is not. At most it is against BT's T & Cs. At worst, if you make a mess of it, BT will charge you for putting it right. There are several instances reported of people phoning BT Indian help and being told it is OK to go ahead and do it. If you are with Sky I doubt the help line would know what you are taking about.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      DeanIss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: issdea@gmail.com
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for all the help Isitme, much appreciated

I'm looking at the guide now and it looks really complicated. I've never really done any wiring or anything similar so it looks really daunting...I might just ask BT/Sky to come install it for me.

Do you know if I should called BT, or should I call Sky for this? Also, will they charge a lot? I heard there are methods to get it installed for free by BT (such as complaining that there is noise on the line?).

I would rather it was done properly and pay some money then do it myself and break it. Again, thanks for the help....so much more useful then Sky tech help!

(Also I think ill post some pictures of my wiring and the set up of it...I dunno maybe one of you guys will spot something wrong with it.

Thanks

Ok so here are the pictures. Dont know if they help or explain anything....if someone could confirm what the set up of my wiring is at the moment that would be awesome!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwO...MzRhZTg2&hl=en

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwO...OTVmMTRh&hl=en

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwO...ZTQwNDRj&hl=en

Thanks

You will have to call whoever you pay your phone rental too. They will arrange it. If you report an intermittent fault, like a lot of noise on the line from time to time, you may get it done free. Ask the engineer to fit an NTE5 if he does not volunteer to do it. Remember it is the phone you are complaining about, don't even mention broadband or they will bounce you back to the ISP.

I am not sure from your pictures which is actually the master socket. It could be the double socket which is feeding back into the single socket beside it and from there to your other sockets or it may be the reverse. It depends on what cable is the main one coming in from outside.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Well IF the other one was the master socket (and not the double one), if I plugged my router it in it should work right?

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

The first socket that the main line from the exchange is connected to is the master socket. All you have to do is determine where the main line enters your property and then follow it to the first socket it's connected to.

If your router does not work in your master socket and your master socket is one of the older ones without a detachable faceplate, then there could be a problem with the wiring as the older master sockets are hard wired to the extensions.

As far as replacing your master socket is concerned, If you are successfully able to identify your main wire and the master socket that needs replacing, you will find it a doddle. If you are up for it, I can post pictures to assist you.

Thanks

Ah sorry forgot to mention the double socket faceplate is the Master Socket (Main Cable goes to it!).

The one that I unscrewed and posted a pic of is the master socket - Would it easily be replaceable (considering I've dont any re-wiring before)?

Any help would be awesome Exdee

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Brilliant!

I am pretty sure you will be able to do it.

I would really appreciate if you can post a close up picture of the connections on your master socket so that I can provide you with better directions.

Do you have any extensions in the house apart from the one in the picture? Do you require the extension in the picture to be working after you replace your master socket?

Thanks

I'll get a close up picture with more detail tomorrow morning. Also I'll be honest, I'm not sure what an extension is?

Is an extension just other sockets other than the master socket?

And if your talking about the socket next to the Master Socket in the picture, I defo dont need that working.

Anyway ill try and get the pic up soon cheers.

Thanks

It would be helpful if you could open up the other socket and picture it too. Also indicate whether the cable going upwards or downwards is your incoming, or neither.

Extensions are sockets other than the master socket.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12