Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Finding The Master Socket

This is a discussion on Finding The Master Socket within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, Over the past week my internet has been suffering from intermittent disconnections. Im running Router stats - lite ...

DeanIss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: issdea@gmail.com
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Finding The Master Socket

Hi there,

Over the past week my internet has been suffering from intermittent disconnections. Im running Router stats - lite atm and I can see my noise level is fluctuating loads between 6db - 15db. Anyway, I plan to make a full post about the problem specifically if it isnt fixed soon, but in the mean time I want to make sure 100% that im using my master socket.

So basically, I dont have a NTE5 master socket in the flat. I've searched everywhere and I definitely dont. I do have a faceplate with a BT logo, but it has two identical sockets on it (if thats the right way to describe it?). Anyway, I opened up it and there was no test socket BUT it does look like the first socket that the wiring leads to!

So yea if I unscrew it, what should I be looking for that confirms its the master socket?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Finding The Master Socket

Does it have capacitors on the back of it? If so, check the others as only the master should have them (or at least have larger ones)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You should see a capacitor, a cylinder about the size of a triple A battery and some other bits and bobs. An extension will just have a plain board with no attachments apart from the line terminals.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thank you for the fast responses!

But yea, after checking again it seems there are two small "battery like" thingies there. Assuming its the master socket then. Thanks for the help. (Just to confirm is it normal that there are two "small battery like-thingies"?)

Thanks

I think it is likely your house has had 2 telephone lines into it at one point. This would be the only reason for having a 'double' master socket. I think you might find that only one side of it is being used.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes indeed, When I plug my router/phone into the other socket I get no response. Anyway doubt thats causing any problems.

Also, on a separate note (before I make my big thread about my disconnections issues), whats a good/normal noise margin to be hitting? Is it normal that it fluctuates a lot through out the hours? And lastly, could limiting my internet speed maybe help stabilize it (if my wiring is old/bad etc.)?

Thanks

whats a good/normal noise margin to be hitting?
      There is no such thing really. Sky's default is 7db but whether that is good or not depends on the speed you are syncing at and your attenuation. Generally the higher the noise margin the more stable the speed will be. As decreasing the connection speed will increase the noise margin, so yes, a lower connection speed will be more stable. This is known a 'capping the speed'.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Awesome. I think I'll ask Sky to further Cap my speed. Ever since they have it has been more stable, but I still get a disconnection every hour or so. Used to be 18 mb, now its around 15mb, I'll ask for 12mb.

Would rather stable 12mb then unstable 15mb.

Thanks

Start your thread on improving your speed, you may get your 18Mb back

TomD

Useful Utilites