Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Maidenhead problems

This is a discussion on Maidenhead problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had a similar problem.( http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...any-ideas.html ) Up until Wednesday 13/04/2011 I was downloading at around 1300 kbits/sec. The router ...

brianjgsteer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maidenhead
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Maidenhead problems

I've had a similar problem.( 510kbps Downstream - any ideas?! ) Up until Wednesday 13/04/2011 I was downloading at around 1300 kbits/sec. The router and the BT website quoted 1500 kbit/sec which I was happy with. I live about 6 miles/9km from Maidenhead exchange so i cannot expect much better.

Then sometime during Wednesday, there was a very short powercut in Maidenhead and since then although I have called Sky to complain, the download rate has dropped to about 440 kbits/sec. Absuolutely useless. When I was with UKOnline I regularly had a 1meg download speed which was what I was paying for. Having had to change my ISP as Sky chose to close down the reliable UKOnline, I chose to move to Sky.

Initially I was satisfied, but I found the person I spoke to at Sky to complain about the service after this drop in speed, wouldn't believe I didn't have a modern master and test socket, so would not do anything further when I said I couldn't plug into the test socket. I just have a very old direct connection socket to the incoming wiring. So I am actualy plugged into the test socket so to speak, which will always be my response in future as it isn't a lie.

Since then I have had to put up with between a fifth and a third of what I was getting until last Wednesday. At one point it dropped to 0.3 Mb/sec!!!! Totally useless.

I am just concerned that seeing so many people complaining about Sky, I wonder if I have made the right decision moving to them.

Does anyone have any idea how I can pressure Sky to resolve the problem? All their tests say there is nothing wrong with the connection. I have also checked with two neighbours and they are getting about 1Meg, but I'm on less than 0.5 meg, half that, but they used to get 1.5 meg as well, so I am certain there is a problem, but Sky are denying there is.
      Last edited by Isitme; 17-04-11 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Included link

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Maidenhead problems

It does make it more difficult to diagnose a problem when you don't have a Test socket. Do you only have one socket or are there extensions running from the master?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianjgsteer View Post
      I am just concerned that seeing so many people complaining about Sky, I wonder if I have made the right decision moving to them.
      In fairness, you're rarely going to have people come on this forum to say the service is brilliant. It's a forum offering solutions and advice for issues.

Can't advise much without stats:

How to get your router statistics

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Maidenhead did experience some issues earlier this year with the backhaul problem.

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/servic...=Sky+Broadband

Having taken a look at that post, Maidenhead isn't listed. However, looking for more info in sky's Help Forum, there are a couple of recent threads where others are complaining of slow speeds in the Maidenhead area. One was to do with Sky Connect, this is the other thread:

Sky Help Forum - NDRYE Exchange Issue - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms