Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Already weak Broadband has dropped & gotten 'stuck'...

This is a discussion on Already weak Broadband has dropped & gotten 'stuck'... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Please see the stats below. These are for my boyfriends house and not the Sky Broadband type dictated in my ...

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Already weak Broadband has dropped & gotten 'stuck'...

Please see the stats below. These are for my boyfriends house and not the Sky Broadband type dictated in my profile.

On first switch on we fluctuated between 1500kbps and 2000kbps or there abouts. We never expected anymore for our line attenuation. But about 1-2 weeks ago the speed notcieably dropped at 761-768kbps no matter if you rebooted or reset the router. Normally it would gain a whole meg. Obviously to drop to 768kbps is so slow you actually notice it whilst browsing.

Note: the phone line has always had a certain amount of noise on the line, this has not gotten worse. plus just over 2 weeks ago a certain person put call barring on outgoing calls on the line due to a guest staying.

Can this affect the broadband in some way?
      I'll be back shortly with an engineers port check (Ethernet in test socket) and let you know my outcome. Hoping for my sake it's FASTER from there.

I do think our attenuation has risen by 3db downstream. No notable working on exchange or near any physical boxes near the house.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 761 kbps 414 kbps
      Line Attenuation 66.0db 40.7db
      Noise Margin 9.0db 15.9db
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Already weak Broadband has dropped & gotten 'stuck'...

You'll want to address the noise issue first off. Get your phone handset direct into the test socket without any other equipment and see if the noise is still present. If so, then get onto your line rental provider to report the fault. If the noise has gone at the test socket, plug in all the equipment one by one and find which is causing the issue (or whether it's the faceplate/wiring causing it).

Once the noise issue is resolved, see if the stats have improved. Ultimately, a call to Sky to have the line code changed to g.dmt would do the line the world of good.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Noise is still very much there.

So I'll get the householder to ring BT (line rental holder) and mention the noise.
      Of course not mentioning the broadband, just the phoneline noise.

Then when they say they've done something to the line I'll check the router to see if there is any improvement.

If not a 'g.dmt' switchover via Sky CST is probably the best bet this poor line will have. The building is only 5 years old. But since I moved in I noticed the phone-line noise during calls was shocking.

The householder is a bit of a miserable git, should be fun trying to get this stubborn man onto BT without him making a fuss. LOL
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just signed into Sky.com and looked at boyf's account.

It states that upon completion on 4th April we were set to 0.8kbps down and 414kbps up.
      Sure enough it is. It doesn't say anything more. No reasons.

So they know the speed we're now getting...and have moved it downwards on purpose...maybe to preserve the quality of BB speed at a less shaky level.

Defo will have to ring to see if we're on ADSL2+ and see if we can switch over safely.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You are on ADSL2 or+, this is shown by your up/down figures and the attenuation. G.DMT would show a maximum of 63.5db, ADSL2 and+ show the full rate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not looking forward to hanging on the phone all night to go through trouble shooting just to wait for a ticket to get through to techs for moving from ADSL2/2+ to g.dmt.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I wouldn't bother doing that until the noise is fixed. Even switching it to g.dmt and uncapping wouldn't show a vast improvement and could even still be unstable, meaning DLM will kick back in and cap it once again.

Get the householder to ring BT faults on 0800 800151 and mention the noise on the line. If he can confirm the noise is still present from the test socket with just a handset and no other equipment, then it's likely a fault on the line. If he has another handset, it'd always be a good idea to try that at the test socket, just to rule out a faulty handset (doubt it's a faulty phone, though).

Once the noise is gone, then call Sky about the bb speed.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sure enough User 05. Will do.