Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Feel like sticking my head through a wall! :(

This is a discussion on Feel like sticking my head through a wall! :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Okay so. I can't give you my exact stats for my router at the moment because im not at home ...

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Feel like sticking my head through a wall! :(

Okay so. I can't give you my exact stats for my router at the moment because im not at home BUT I can give you what I can remember. During the day my speed will be perfectly fine, then as soon as all the schools finish about 3pm my noise margin drops from around 13db to about 8, 6, 4 db. Then my internet cuts off and reconnects at 2300kbps. Its normal speed is 4092kbps. Any help? I can tell you for fact that my router is NOT connected to the master socket, thanks to a certain someone in my house hold. I get the feeling that the reason why im having this issue is because it isn't plugged into the Master Socket, am I right?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Feel like sticking my head through a wall! :(

Don't do it! It tends to leave a bit of a mess and the local builders keep complaining too.

When you get back home, plug your router into the test socket and post your stats. You'd be surprised how much information can be gained from them.

Ensure that the micro-filter is the first item plugged into the socket, especially before the Sky STB telephone connection. Use the grey lead the was supplied with your router to connect the filter to the router.

Also it is never a good idea to use a router on a telephone extension. There are some other good suggestions we can make to help you get the best from your connection it your PC is too far from the master telephone socket or the WiFi is poor from that spot.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Thanks

Okay well, heres the stat's!

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 3894 5539 0 3521 16784 00:06:08
      LAN 100M/Full 399 235 0 158 212 00:06:58
      WLAN 11M/54M 6316 4787 0 16243 3590 00:06:45
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4092 kbps 792 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51 db 30 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 10 db

I rebooted the router this afternoon (12:30) and it went from 2300kbps to the following above. The Noise Margin seems to be staying at a steady 7 db and isn't fluctuating. before I rebooted the Noise Margin was about 16 db. I can't plug into the test socket as I can't get any where near the socket (as of now) The master down stairs is also out of bounce (as of now) ill post back once im able to do anything! Haha.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You really need to get the router plugged into the Test socket and leave it there until you find out is the line still drops. It is sometimes possible to plug the faceplate into the filter to enable your extensions. If you can do that try it, it is much the same as using a filtered faceplate, which you should ultimately aim at fitting.

There is little point in damaging walls until you try this

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi SOF006,

Here is a link for troubleshooting a slow connection, we recommend you use the Master Socket in your home for the router.

Sky Broadband | Slow connection

If you have a test socket on your master socket then we would recommend you plug your router directly into this to see if the problem still exists., if the problem stops then it would indicate that the issue is caused by internal wiring within your home.

Hope this helps.
      Sky eService Team

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help
      My Sky and Sky iD https://mysky.sky.com