Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slower internet speed through homeplug?

This is a discussion on Slower internet speed through homeplug? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have some max value homeplugs that I have been using for a while now. Recently I have noticed a ...

Dan223 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Benfleet
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Slower internet speed through homeplug?

I have some max value homeplugs that I have been using for a while now. Recently I have noticed a drop in internet speed. When comparing the speed between a wireless connection I loose up to 4mb internet speed. However if I send a file from the wireless to the computer with a homeplug I'm getting 1.00MB/s+ both ways so I'm not quite sure why the internet speed is lower?

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Slower internet speed through homeplug?

To rule in/out the HomePlug vs WiFi issue, have you tried connecting either computer directly with the Router and performing the same test?

Perform the same test different ways around if you can. i.e. WiFi direct to router via Ethernet cable 2nd via HomePlugs; other PC direct to router & WiFi computer on WiFi; both computers connected via Ethernet to Router

It might also be necessary to reset your HomePlugs.

Apologies if this is like sucking eggs.

I wold also run the speed test on this forum as a final check.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Dan223 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Benfleet
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Basically the setup at the moment is router downstairs in master socket, with a faceplate. A homeplug is plugged into the router, which there are two computer upstairs which both see the same issue. Yet I have a laptop with WiFi and that's getting a faster speed.

Mainly due to the fact the router is in an awkward place, that's the reason why I can't really try and connect the computer directly to the router. So I have connected the laptop to the homeplugs (same issue) connected straight to the router, no problem.

So I'm not quite sure what the problem is, there is obviously a speed loss between homeplugs, but the file transfer is better, there's no option to reset the homeplugs

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Ok, reseting the HomePlugs can be as simple as switching them both off, then turning them on one at a time (starting with the one by the router.

Do you have any software that might be causing a problem?

I have Logmein Humanchi installed on my Torrent PC and another desktop. when copying files between the two, Humanchi slows the process down considerably. If I disable it, then the file transfer speeds rocket to a normal LAN speed.

Which model HomePlugs do you have?

Have you looked on the manufacturer's website, or other forums, to see if there is a particular issue with the model?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms