Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Connection problems

This is a discussion on Connection problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Been having serious connection problems recently. A few weeks ago my speed dropped drastically. I'm on sky unlimited but have ...

Danfalc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: d.falconer7@hotmail.co.uk
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Connection problems

Been having serious connection problems recently. A few weeks ago my speed dropped drastically. I'm on sky unlimited but have been told the max connection I can get is 8 mb, though bt told me it was 4, and that seems more consistent with what I was getting on good days.

It's just refusing to connect sometimes too, like the router would start up, then the lights would go orange (though the wireless connection was always green and I don't use wireless) . Though sometimes it will connect, there is a lot of static over my landline too, though to be honest my cat has been chewing the cord on it I don't seem to have a test socket? Maybe because I live In an upstairs maisonette.

I don't know if this is relevant, but a little pc pops up in my start menu, when I finally connect. When I hover over it, it says connected and at what speed, which is 384kbps. I don't know if that's right or wrong but it's never come up before.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 384 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 50.0 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 5.4 db 5.5 db

In terms of gaming my connection has never been fast, but where I could instantly play you tube videos, it takes hours for them to buffer now

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Connection problems

How many telephone sockets are you currently using?

Are you connecting the router to the telephone socket with the sky supplied grey cable and a microfilter?

Is a microfilter the FIRST thing that is connected to any socket in use?

You say that you don't have a test socket, so could you explain were the router is located and how it's setup please?

With your attenuation you should be getting around 4Mb, but as it currently stands their is no room for improvement.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers For This Useful Post:

Danfalc (13-04-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unless you are in a new build with an XNTE, you should have a master socket. Remove the faceplates and look at the back of the plate, you will find one with a capacitor and other bits and pieces, that is the master. Use it to do any testing and if there is a wire connected to terminal 3, pull it off. This is the ring wire and is not required and can effect the broadband.

Check also that everything plugged into the phone circuit is running through a filter. This includes Sky digiboxes, which you might be better unplugging altogether when you take your stats. Try these suggestions and post your stats again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Danfalc (13-04-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      *snip*
      1) Just the one
      2) Yes, strictly using only the stuff I was provided with
      3) Yes, the filter is the first thing plugged into my socket, it's a dual one so I can plug by asdl and phone lead into it? Those are the only two things I ever use.
      4) I'm not 100% sure, this test socket stuff is new to me, but I believe I have had problems with this in the past, due to this being a house which was split into two flats. I got the upstairs. I will take the face plate off to check then get back to you.

But my pc is on the opposite wall to my phone socket, about 6 foot away. The router is on top of my pc. The router is connected directly to the filter by the asdl lead, and the filter is the first thing plugged into my actual socket. Obviously the asdl is plugged into my router, I also have the Ethernet lead going from the router to my pc. The only other lead (apart from the power lead) I sometimes use is one linking my router to my xbox 360. But I have unplugged that in-case it was the thing effecting my speeds.

Speed's don't really mean that much to me, I get confused by all the different speeds and unit's used. But I on sites like steam I used to download files off at like 400-700 kb/s on a good day, I never get above like above 28.9 kb/s now. I use to watch a lot of streaming files like mma, and play with my friends over steam. I can't do any of those things currently, you tube files will take like 10 minutes to load when I use to be able to play them instantly most of the time.

@ Isitme, I have problems in the past when I switched broadband from bt to sky. This might be because this is a house which was split into two, but I presume they found a solution, so I will check to see if my main socket is the test socket.

Thank you for the explanation though. Everything connected is running through a filter, the only other things I have connected is my xbox, but that plugs into the router and not the filter. Anyway I will see if I can if my socket is the main test socket and re-post my stats. Sorry if I struggle to explain things well.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If your an MMA fan then we will definitely have to get your speed sorted.

If you don't have a test socket just follow what Tom said above.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

Ok, well I think my socket is a test socket, It doesn't seem to have a capacitor on it, but the front plate did come off to expose a secondary plate with a socket on the right hand side. The next plate did come off too, but it didn't have another plate to it and led directly into the wall and all the main wiring.

I wasn't able to do a test though, my connection is playing up =[ I wasn't able to connect while using the test socket, but that's also the problem I'm having using the normal socket. I forgot to mention I am having problems even connecting most of the time.

The sky broadband router page keeps coming up, it requests the password and user name. Then it will try and connect to the, but the internet light stays orange and flickers, this will go on for hours sometimes until I seem to get lucky and are able to log in like now. In this section, it will go from adsl training to asdl down multiple times until it connects.

ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023o.d20h
      Modem Status PPP Server Down
      DownStream Connection Speed 384
      UpStream Connection Speed 606
      VPI
      VCI

Thanks

I just looked on my main page at sky, everything had a green symbol next to it except my bb which is orange. I expanded the issue and it says reduction in internet speed.

It has information on various things which may have affected peoples speeds, but none of them are in my area and are a few months back now. I'm ringing up now, but not expecting much help.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The backhaul issue are only affecting speed at peak times.

Would it be possible for you to repost your stats when connected to the socket that was behind the faceplate?

Thanks

Just got off the phone he was really helpful, he configured my line again and the computer icon in the corner went from 385 kp/s connection speed to something like 2.9 mb/s. You tube was loading normally too.

Anyway from the test socket, though I did the test again normally too, and it was pretty much identical since he reset my line. So fingers crossed the issue is fixed. Ty for the help though.

Connection Speed 2975 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 26.9 db
      Noise Margin 5.8 db 14.5 db

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danfalc View Post

Anyway from the test socket, though I did the test again normally too, and it was pretty much identical since he reset my line.

Connection Speed 2975 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 26.9 db
      Noise Margin 5.8 db 14.5 db
      You should still probably be getting around 5Mb

I think your line may drop the sync again so that it can raise the SNR to 7db

It looks like your line is still on ADSL2+

Your line will probably preform better on G.DMT.

When you say that its almost identical what do you mean?

It was only the noise margin that i was hoping would increase.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers For This Useful Post:

Danfalc (13-04-11)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast